Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resting heart rate personal range changes

I am wondering why my RHR personal range changes so frequently and what can be done to « stabilize » it.  I have been with Fitbit for a little over three years and my RHR personal range has consistently been 63 to 65. A month ago I had a bad cold and my RHR went up to 70, hence out of personal range. After 3 days of RHR at 70, my personal range increased and when I recovered and my RHR dropped back to a more normal 65, it was indicated as outside personal range. Then again, within 3 days my new personal range was where it had been before my cold.  Why does the personal range change so quickly? I would expect it to be relatively stable, based on long-term data, so that a prolonged out of range incident would be evident. Is there something I need to set to have a more stable personal range? If not, what can Fitbit do to ensure personal range is stable and hence a better tool for identifying potential issues? Thank you. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

In phone app, Health Metrics > RHR > About, it tells you exactly how it calculates your personal range - 30 day baseline plus or minus 2 standard deviations.

It looks to me like it was doing exactly what it should be doing.  RHR can show changes in your health, as well as changes in your fitness.  In your case, you realized that you had a cold and your RHR also showed that.

If anything, I would say that the new app in the health metrics circle showing how many measurements were within personal range, is misleading in implying that being within personal range is the goal, which I don't agree should necessarily always the case.  I pay little attention to the "personal range" number, looking instead at the graph.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer

Thanks for your reply. I still believe a personal range should be based on long term data, else the “you’re out of personal range” notice is of little value. While I agree with you that the graphs are much more useful, I like the personal range info when I just have time for a quick check. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Johnny Rowe - You're completely wrong, did you not read her question? She said her personal range changedafter 3 days, not after 30 days!  Hence her follow up point about "personal range" being of no value if it changes after 3 days of being out of range. So a reading indicating illhealth suddenly becomes "normal" , that's a joke. The same thing has happened to me after only a few days, it's very disconcerting and worrying. I don't think she needed to know what you personally are concerned with in your interactions with your FitBit, that wasn't the question either. Are you employed by Fitbit? Or maybe a bot? So many of these sites now have AI bots answering the questions. 

Best Answer

This was a duplicate

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Uselessaop  Thanks for the insults, doubled.  Have a nice day.  😀

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes