Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rowing Machine Data

Hi all,

I have a rowing machine - had it for a few months now - but there seems to be now wayof accurately calculating how many calories I'm burning while using it, partially becaiuse I thing the display is off and partically because ,well - no one seems to know how to answer a simple question!

This evening, I rowed abotut 11 minutes, at about 28 strokes per minute.

According to the display, I rowed 250 metres and and burnt off 60 calories.

According to the fitness log, I burnt off 5 calories.

According to a third source, I rowed 2.5km and burnt off 116 calories.

Accordign to everyone, it depends on the intensirty: moderate or vigorous.

I have no idea if 28 strokes is moderate or vigorous and no source on the web seems say. Fitbit wants to measure my intensity in wattage (how the heck do you measure THAT?!)

So the question remains: how many calories did I actually burn off?

Not to mention how it's caculated!

Many thanks!

Paul.

PS - if it matters, I'm 43, weigh 97kg/215lbs and am 177cm/5'8" tall.

Best Answer
0 Votes
9 REPLIES 9

Hi Paul - if you google "Concept 2 indoor rowing machine calorie calculator" and plug in your information, you can get a very good estimate of calories burned.

A lot of people I row with use the online calculator because our club doesn't always replace all the ergs' display batteries and most of us use C2's daily log.

Cheers!

Best Answer

Problem is that I'm not using a concept 2 machine.

I tired putting in the information as mentioned, came back with 72 calories for 10 mins which is less than slow walking. Still seems a bit low.

Thanks for the help though.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Paul. I would go with the rower's readout if I were you, even with all of its potential inaccuracies, and I will tell you why.

No matter what the error factor is, it's a pretty safe bet that it will be relatively constant. So by using the rower's reported metrics, you will be able to observe your trend line over time and get a good sense of your performance improvements.

My take. Hope this helps. Have a good day.

Smiley Happy     TW     Smiley Wink

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Paul! I know you posted this a while ago but as a competitive rower I thought I'd put in my two sense. So I said I row competitively that means in the winter months when we cant get on the water all we do is erg and normally my Flex gets pretty confused. I tend to log all of my exercise manually and here's how I do it!

1) Go onto 'Log'  enter 'rowing machine' and enter the time you worked out 

2) Next to 'Distance' hit  'Don't know your distance?' 

3) Then enter your intensity; I gauge my workouts in two ways-

> Did I row an endurance piece? Endurance pieces are usually a set s/m for a period of time (for example an endurance workout I like to row is 45min. at 20 s/m with a split of  about 2:30). If I did row an endurance piece then I consider that a moderate workout and enter that. If I was going anything below 20 s/m I will bump the workout down to easy. If I was going above 25 s/m the whole time I'll bump it up to intense (sometimes) 

> Did I row an interval workout? Interval workouts are typically things like Erg Pyramids or exercises where you switch speeds over a period of time (lets just say 45 min because that's how long I usually go for). If I was doing intervals then I consider that a hard workout and enter it as so. If my workout piece was shorter then 45 min I will usually bump it down to moderate. 

Entering it this way I feel works for me the best and gives me the best reading if I enter an intense workout it will usually read above 1,000 calories burnt which is pretty spot on. I find that those erg calculator things don't really work for me but I mean for some people it might? Hope this helps!

Best Answer

deleted

Best Answer
0 Votes

Rowing at 26-28 SPM you will consume abt 600 kcal per hour. You will cover abt 3,500 meters in 20 min.

Fitbit does not work with a rowing machine as it needs GPS from you phone to measure distance.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I beg to differ. I use my Blaze with a rowing machine for about 10 minutes at the gymn and it does record accurately.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think it consumes 800 calories at this speed. Correct me if I am wrong. There's a difference of almost 200 calories in the concept 2 rowing machine data.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

Have you tried connecting the Concept2 Log to the fitbit log? Concept2 recently announced the capability. I've set it up on the Concept2 log side, but I have not been able to figure out how to make it work from the fitbit side.

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes