Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rowing Machine Questions

ANSWERED

I am enjoying, and getting a lot out of, the Concept2 rowing machines at my gym. I started doing this beginner training plan, and I'm at week 11 of 24. I row three days a week and take spin classes three days. (I also do some mellow walking and biking for transportation around the neighborhood.) I have some questions for more experienced rowers.

I have started to program intervals for every single workout, even the ones where I'm supposed to just row 8K or 10K meters at once. It's the only way I can drink water! When I tried to grab water to drink without a programmed rest break, I spilled my bottle all over the floor. Do other people just wait to drink until they've rowed 40 minutes? Should I just program very short rest periods? 

I'm still getting new blisters on my hands, some of them under my callouses. Is that normal?

The FitBit LOVES rowing. It gives me steps for rowing and not for biking or spin class. Spin class burns more calories because it raises my heart rate more. I've been walking around the block after spin class to get the steps. I don't take additional walks on the days that I row, just do my normal walking around. Bad idea? I'm never sure how much to rely on the calorie count thing. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

A couple of rowing tips (relevant to the machine or on water) -

- I've heard consistently from rowing coaches that hydration should be ongoing.  If you have a sweat-inducing row planned for the early morning, they emphasize hydrating the day before, rather than during.

- With respect to blisters, people seem to vary in their tendencies to get them, but lightening your grip on the handle(s) can be helpful.  The drive in the rowing stroke is initiated by your legs/core, and the hand/arms are "following" during the drive, so lightening the hands up can also contribute to improving your stroke as well.

I swear by Burt's Bees Shea Butter Hand Repair Cream to soothe the sore hands and keep blisters at a minimum. Not sure exactly why, but it works for me.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
16 REPLIES 16

I don't know much about rowing, but the water intake is an interesting question. I think you will get 30 different opinions about that. For me, I run about 40 minutes straight on a treadmill. I do not drink until I am in walk mode to either HIIT or cool down. It doesn't bother me- I don't feel dehydrated- I feel good. I also sweat like a PIG- I mean gross disgusting not lady like sweating. When I go to a slower pace- I drink half my water bottle. this works for me. So my opinion on this (not medical advise of course) listen to your body. It will tell you when you need a drink. Dry mouth, belly discomfort, more achy than should be at a point in your work out- all signs you need to drink. This will tell you how to program your workout to avoid those symptoms. Hope this helps..

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

I do not row, but I do crossfit. I also get blisters and caulusses on my hands from the barbells and pull ups. This is normal, but you do have to take care of your hands. I use a lot of hand lotions and massage the skin around my blisters/ caulusses. You can also buy lifting handgloves, they protect your skin from getting beat up. 

I usually drink a lot of water after I did my workout, because I don't like the feeling of a bloated water stomach when I am jumping around. I would say drink when you feel like your body needs it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You really don't need water for a workout under 1 hr - unless out in summer heat just drenching with sweat, in which case need more than plain water - need electrolytes too.

But 40 min - just drink up starting an hour before, and drink up after.

Performance only be effected usualy if you lose 1% of your body weight in sweat.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer

Aha! I knew there was a reason I should be drinking during the day! It's so I won't be thirsty on the rower. (The cool kids call it the erg, for ergometer, but there's really no one in my gym like that!) It seems weird not to drink during exercise now. When I used to swim laps, I read a book about how to swim better and it advised bringing a bottle of water to the pool, which no one ever did when I was a kid.

Of course in spin class they don't let you in without water, but that's different, because they get our heart rates up very high in there. People emerge drenched in sweat. 

Last night the rowing program I'm doing called for a short intervals session anyway, 8X500m, with two minute rests between each split. I used most of the rests to drink and wipe my hands! I am going to try preparing by drinking an hour beforehand, as you suggest, and do an 8K row without stopping the next time I go. I had tried rowing using my old weight-lifting gloves, but I just got a new blister in a different place on my hand, so that wasn't so good. Perhaps I'll buy another pair and try again. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I make a point of keeping hydrated whenever I do vigorous exercise. Even my shorter (24 minute) interval sessions. 

One product you may want to take a look at is the Camelbak. They make a number of models for mountain bikers that strap to your back, and you drink through a tube clipped to your shirt. They have reusable plastic liners that can fill with plain water or sports drink of various kinds. Their "Unbottle" product, which you don't actually need to strap to your body, might be a good solution for rowers.

It may be largely psychological, but I find keeping hydrated throughout my vigorous workouts lets me finish the last few miles/minutes/sets with an extra burst of energy - rather than struggling. And I defnitely find it keeps my recovery times less taxing.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I found that trying to do 10K on the rower with no intervals was too intimidating. I had to plan in those intervals, even though I'm still rowing on the breaks. Also I'm probably not drinking enough during the day, because cardio makes me thirsty! I will look at that Camelback, and maybe I can just do longer and longer intervals until I'm doing the whole thing all at once. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Rowing is good exercise.  I don't get blisters like you but my wrists usually tire out after about 30 minutes.  I usually do 2 or 3 sets of exercises.  The first one is a 3K in 10 intervals of 300m.  I usually drink water during every second interval.  It would be hard for me to go through 45 minutes of rowing with no water given how much energy it requires.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Blisters are a part of rowing.  🙂 And yes, I've even had blisters form under callouses before ... for the most part though, once you're consistent, your hands will toughen up and it won't happen anymore.

As a rower, I don't recommend gloves - but that's really most pertinent to rowing on the water. Most of us believe that gloves hurt your blade handling. But if all you do is erg, it probably doesn't matter, I'd say do whatever is most comfortable and enables you to work out consistently.

As for the person above who said their wrists get tired - that shouldn't happen when you row. The wrist should be doing no more than a hook would do, if it's hurting, you're doing something weird with your stroke.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I decided to get a new pair of gloves. They don't stop me from getting callouses or blisters, but they do seem to make them appear more evenly on the hand? At some point I'll stop wearing them again. My blisters seem to be toughening up better now that the pressure is better spread out. 

I'm also continuing to set "rests" in the long rows to drink water. I could probably just row straight through, but it seems daunting. I think it's a psychological crutch, knowing I can slow down to drink and not spill the water. Since I'm not trying to row competitively, I think it's OK for now. I'm in week 15 of the 24 beginner workout. Mostly I'm shooting for a better stroke power index number, and not for plain speed. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I row for 45 minutes but I don't drink during the workout, I get hydrated before rowing and after.  I find my fitbit doesn't accurately record my calories on the ellipitical or my stationary bike, so I take what the ellipital records and the bike.  Calories from rowing seem accurate.  When I row I don't use a program, I just row.  I've been rowing for 20 years and just love it, it strenghtens the arms, legs and core muscles, without the pounding I used to get from running, the ellipital, bike and rower have saved my knees.

Best Answer
0 Votes

FitBit should seek a development partnership with Concept 2 - the most popular rowing machine in gyms across the world.  I live in the UK, use the Concept 2 app in conjunction with FitBit.

I sychronize my FitBit workout with my my Concept 2 - then upoon completion - I DELETE the FitBit workout, becuase it is no where near the proper clalorie burn, according to the Concept 2.  

Then I re-enter the information into FitBit, and I can compare Heart Rate relative to my Rowing Machine workout - be that intervals or distance training.  Tbis is useful.

Please Fit Bit - look at getting connected properly with Rowing Machines - namely - Concept 2 (PM5)  - who already have an API !!!!!!

should not be a lot of dev.

-Brian Stableford

PS - 19.1 mm steps since Feb 2014 - You changed my life - PLEASE EXPLORE THIS AVENUE

Best Answer

Brian, I've been trying to figure out how to use my FitBit while rowing on my Concept2. I have searched but not found any useful information on the subject short of your post. Am I missing something or do you have any pointers? Thank you!

Best Answer

Knaidel  I use a Concept 2 rower, I row for 40 minutes without drinking, but I have been using my rower for years, I don't use any of the programs I just row continually.  I have very few blisters probably because I've been rowing for years.  I love the rower because it uses the whole body, especially good for core strengthening.

Best Answer

- I've heard consistently from rowing coaches that hydration should be ongoing.  If you have a sweat-inducing row planned for the early morning, they emphasize hydrating the day before, rather than during.

- With respect to blisters, people seem to vary in their tendencies to get them, but lightening your grip on the handle(s) can be helpful.  The drive in the rowing stroke is initiated by your legs/core, and the hand/arms are "following" during the drive, so lightening the hands up can also contribute to improving your stroke as well.

I swear by Burt's Bees Shea Butter Hand Repair Cream to soothe the sore hands and keep blisters at a minimum. Not sure exactly why, but it works for me.

Best Answer

I broke my shoulder at the end of November, and haven't been rowing much as a result. I got into running again, which is more FitBit friendly, but it would be nice to get back on the erg sometime!

@KathleenOutside wrote:

This answer (hydrate the day before!) is excellent. I hope to be able to use the advice in the near future. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
When rowing always keep your back straight, do not bend forward to start
the drive stroke. Always pull toward your belly button. Blisters are
caused by heat which may be caused by your hands slipping on the handles,
so keep a firm grip on the handles so your hands do not slip or roll on the
handles.
Best Answer
0 Votes