Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running In Cold Weather

ANSWERED

I usually don't run when the temperature is less than 55, but I'm trying to change that because of my ridiculous goal of running a 6 minute kilometer. However, I'm finding it hard to get the right mix of clothes to keep me warm while I run. Also, the cold air tends to hurt my throat and chest and leave me with a nagging cough for most of the rest of the day.

Does anyone have any advice? How do you do this? How do you layer clothes to keep warm?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@LilLash: Yes... I agree. I was like that until last May. I trained in cold and rainy days. But my race day happened to be 42 C with humidex. I cannot change my race day climate. But I can be prepared for any kind of weather. 

As long as, you have proper layering, you are good to go. I usually wear base bottom layer (100% merino wool) and running windbreaker pant.  For top base layer (100% merino wool), full sleeve quick dry shirt and a jacket (I have a jacket which comes with Balaclava attached to it).  you need a good gloves (layer this too. similar to skiing).  And for socks I have a pair which can withstand -35 C. Also it sucks up all your sweat and make you feel warm. 

I ran in this gear y'day morning. It was -31 here. 

Good luck.

Bhuvana

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

@LilLash: Yes... I agree. I was like that until last May. I trained in cold and rainy days. But my race day happened to be 42 C with humidex. I cannot change my race day climate. But I can be prepared for any kind of weather. 

As long as, you have proper layering, you are good to go. I usually wear base bottom layer (100% merino wool) and running windbreaker pant.  For top base layer (100% merino wool), full sleeve quick dry shirt and a jacket (I have a jacket which comes with Balaclava attached to it).  you need a good gloves (layer this too. similar to skiing).  And for socks I have a pair which can withstand -35 C. Also it sucks up all your sweat and make you feel warm. 

I ran in this gear y'day morning. It was -31 here. 

Good luck.

Bhuvana

Best Answer

55F is 12-13C: I could probably only run 3-4 months of the year if anything lower than that was "cold weather" <lol>. For me, the problem is more keeping warm when walking than when running. When running, the problem is having too many layers and ending up wet from sweating. My running jackets go up to my chin and cover my neck.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

LOL, I live in the southern US, so it's very rare that it gets below 4 or 5 C during the day even in the coldest months, so I am definitely not used to low temps.

Thank you, I think I'll look for a jacket that covers my neck, too.

Best Answer
0 Votes

And here I am having 13 degrees Celcius this week and thinking it is warm 🙂 . It is funny how we get so used to climates.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

I live in Eastern Canada. So sometimes it hits -40 C with windchill. Last weekend was too chilly, windy and all kinds of nasty stuff. If it doesn't go below - 5 or -10.. may be you need two layers and a neck warmer and something to cover your ears. You can use buffs or Toque. Buff comes in various material which can be used in few different ways. 

Best Answer

Does anyone else find that running in the cold makes your ears sting really bad??? I've always had this problem and really don't want to wear a hat with ear coverings while running.

Best Answer
0 Votes

All the time!

I do have a hat that covers my ears, but I'm not a big fan of wearing it, either, so I only wear it when it's really cold.

The worst part is when it stings from the inside because of the cold air you breathe in.

Best Answer