Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running: Tracking with Fitbit alone vs. Runkeeper/Runtastic

Hello. Sorry if this is a redundant question. I am curious if you are running, do you use an app like Runkeeper to track miles, calories, etc.... and let the data transfer over to Fitbit and MyFitnessPal? Or do you just use your Fitbit to track all exercises, which I have been doing? I feel Fitbit is more accurate to what is going on in one's calorie burning. Any opinions?
Best Answer
13 REPLIES 13

I'm generally a one app using guy. Fitbit exclusively. Use the quick start button and go. Update the log at the end of my exercise. Using apps to import foods and runs at the end doesn't import well half the time.

Best Answer
Yeah, I am leaning to deleting this other apps as far as Runkeeper/Runtastic goes. I like how Fitbit tells me the Peak, Cardio, Fat Burn range. I never had any issues with MyFitness Pal importing.
Best Answer

Only use Fitbit. Heart

Not counting calories or caring about calories burned. Keeping a journal (pen & paper) though with when getting hungry / small appetite.. what has been eaten and how much to keep making healthier choices and how feeling afterwards (more satisfied, a bit over satisfied but not stuffed..).

Our bodies are more accurate with keeping track of actual (calories / nutritients) eaten / burned over time, balancing weight by increasing hunger / appetite, & also letting know when having enough in the moment or say 'stop we're fine now' when eating.. instead of a plan tells 'you can have more but your body doesn't need more in the moment..', and needing to force feed if following the plan.. rather than waiting until the body asks for more nourishment.

Have Fun

Best Answer
0 Votes

Depending on whether you are using the Surge, Fitbit is not as accurate as Runkeeper. I found this out not too long ago. See this thread: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Share-Your-Story/Surge-X-Runkeeper-diferences-in-results/m-p/1057143...

Best Answer

I use to use Runkeeper all the time. But I dont anymore. I just let fitbit do its thing.

When I wear the surge I do use the GPS on that.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have the Charge HR.
Best Answer

I wear my fitbit Charge HR when im running, but don't use the active function. I use Strava. I did a run last week, and decided to use the active function to see if it was accurate compared to Strava.... my fitbit lost me about 2ks in distance (Fitbit said i had only run 7ks when in fact i had run 9.1ks) so i pretty much use my fitbit to track my steps and heartrate only.

"Act like a lady...Lift like a BOSS"
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dadversity wrote:
Hello. Sorry if this is a redundant question. I am curious if you are running, do you use an app like Runkeeper to track miles, calories, etc.... and let the data transfer over to Fitbit and MyFitnessPal? Or do you just use your Fitbit to track all exercises, which I have been doing? I feel Fitbit is more accurate to what is going on in one's calorie burning. Any opinions?

I used to use Runkeeper while walking and biking since it used GPS with altitude tracker.  Since I got the Surge which does the same thing, I have stopped using Runkeeper.  And the Surge has the added bonus of tracking your heartrate while working out. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Late to the party here, but I'm finding Fitbit drastically underestimates my mileage. Sometimes by half a mile. That's unacceptable. On the other hand, Runkeeper and MapMyRun overestimate mileage. Runtastic seems to be the most consistent at accurate readings. But it's quite frustrating not to be able to verify data.

Best Answer
0 Votes

What Fitbit tracker are you using? I’ll assume it’s a Charge 2, since I’ve noticed you’ve posted to the Charge 2 help forum. If so, Fitbit has acknowleged software bugs related to Connected GPS. A fix should be released at some point.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@gdpmumin wrote:

Late to the party here, but I'm finding Fitbit drastically underestimates my mileage. Sometimes by half a mile. That's unacceptable. On the other hand, Runkeeper and MapMyRun overestimate mileage. Runtastic seems to be the most consistent at accurate readings. But it's quite frustrating not to be able to verify data.

Which Fitbit tracker do you have?  If it isn't a Surge, are you tethering your tracker with our phone's Location Services (commonly referred to as GPS)?  If not then your tracker will be forced to rely on your running stride length in your profile; a metric which is almost never correct from one run to the next.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Use the Fitbit App on your phone to track your exercise.  Then synch it with whatever other app you want.

I use the Fitbit App for all runs and walks and then synch with Strava.  Works great.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I like RunKeeper app. I'm using that around 2 years! So, it exactly what you need. Look also at this article - How to Build a Runkeeper App and Become the Market Leader

Best Answer
0 Votes