Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running help

Hi there

I’m a novice runner, I started first week of January as a means to lose weight and improve fitness. My pace has gone from 14”12 to 10”59 so I’m able to run for longer and take shorter breaks. As my fitness is improving I’m finding that my heart rate isn’t stopping me running continuously for longer, it’s my leg muscles. My heart rate will barely get above 143 but my leg muscles feel so tight I end up stopping and walking for a while. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong and wondering if anyone had any ideas? I know I’m fairly flat footed but I have trainers suited to flat feet so I don’t think it’s necessarily that. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

You should probably try some strength training to augment the running. Typically I run 4x a week and strength train the other days. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

there are many arguments about the benefits of stretching before running.. most say it is absolutely needed to keep muscles feeling good through the run, some say that after is better.. I find that doing both helps with muscle issues. you may also consider potassium about 30 minutes before you run. yes, it mostly addresses cramping, but it may help. And finally water. muscles need water so making sure you are completely hydrated before you start running is important. try one two or all three and hopefully it will improve things for you...

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

Full disclosure, I am not much of a runner. I would say I am a beginner-intermediate and I will always be there because I hate running but I make myself do it because I think it is good for me in small doses. I agree about water being really important- if you are dehydrated, your muscles will not respond as well. 

I also agree about stretching- but I would say that you should warm up (5-10 minutes) then stretch. I never stretch before doing any movement, I like to stretch after warm-up when my muscles are warm and more stretchy. Also, stretch at the end of your run. Last, I find that I hit a wall during running that I just have to suffer through, then things get better. The 'wall' is just a period where I feel like I am hurting and I can't run anymore and it isn't comfortable (breathing, muscles, etc). Sometimes stretching helps me through the wall faster. Most of the time it passes after 2 minutes. If you are stopping when you feel the discomfort, try pushing through and see if it gets better. 

Best Answer