Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running in treadmill: How to log a run (accurately?)

Hi everyone!

I'm a Fitbit Inspire HR user doing casual runs, trying to improve my distance and speed. For this, I use the 'run' function from the device, and I have set my cues to 400m so I can keep a good track of my stats (pace, distance). 

I ran yesterday on a treadmill and used 'treadmill' function, but then I did not get cues (in treadmill you can only set cues for time or calories, none of those help me).

Question: How can I best use the Fitbit while running on treadmill to get the cues AND correct stats? Shall I use 'run' function although without GPS?  - btw, if I let Fitbit autodetect my workout I also won't get the cues, so not an option.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

@SunsetRunner, it is very difficult to get "accurate" data running on a treadmill, largely because your stride is not the same on a treadmill as it running outside on uneven terrain. When running outside you speed up or slow down, however slightly, to accommodate the terrain, your breathing, etc., and your stride length will vary.  But, when you are running on a treadmill you are running at a very constant speed as defined by the motor on the treadmill. Additionally, if you use the "Treadmill" exercise mode on your tracker it will use your profile defined walk stride length - which is totally different than your running stride length. Probably your best reading for running on the treadmill would be to use the "Run" exercise mode, though the stride length may be off from what you have defined in your profile which will affect calculated distance.

Best Answer
0 Votes