Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STEPS

If I set my STEPS on Automatic, does my Ionic track my actual foot strikes or count my steps using the default 24 inches/step?  In other words is it more realistic to enter my usual stride length or go with the auto setting.

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

Hi @BandQ,

Automatic works fine for me. If your legs are longer or shorter than average, the manual adjustment may be more accurate.

You can try both ways-- take 50 steps on auto and then adjust stride, and see which one is the most accurate.

I think auto is preferable.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

The stride length is only used for estimating distances (distance = stride length x steps). Since your Ionic has a build-in GPS, distances can be obtained more accurately (for activities like walking, running) by logging the activities in question on your Ionic. Other than that, a step is a step, regardless of what you have selected for stride length (automatic vs. your own). With "automatic", Fitbit will estimate your stride length based on your height. If your legs are significantly shorter or longer than average (compared to people your height), you may want to enter your own stride.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
Thank you.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks very much!  I try your suggestion.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is very helpful. Thank you. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you. This is very helpful. 

Best Answer
0 Votes