Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seizure

I have used fitbit for monitoring exercise, but my daughter just had a grand mal seizure this weekend. Can any if the fitbit products be used to monitor or track seizures?
Best Answer
27 REPLIES 27

@Czersue  I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's seizure. Fitbit doesn't monitor such things, but who knows what devices will be able to achieve in the future.

All my best and welcome to the forums.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 9

Best Answer

Sorry about your daughter, and I really doubt any of the fitbit's would track a seizure. Though you never know. My ex had seizures the best we had to know when  his seizures came was he said he got a metallic taste in his mouth anywhere from an hour to a few minutes before one and our dogs aways stayed by his side before his seizures started. The best I can say for you is keep a calender of just her seizures and days she feels off. I always took it with me to the doctors so we could figure out a pattern and try to control the seizures. Good luck!

Best Answer
Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking since there must be an accelerometer in the device this would be technically possible to track grand mal siezures at least with minimal programming.

It seems like a great potential market for the fitbit to increase quality of life, a sense of independence, and piece of mind for many people who suffer from seizures.

I am sure the issue is that users need to understand the the limitations of the technology.... It would not be a life alert, but a monitor and tracking device with notifications via text message when coverage and proximity to smartphone are available. It is a shame company's have to be so worried about being sued that useful products can't be brought to market at reasonable price.

The only device I have found is a $200 leased smart watch with a $20 -$30 monthly subscription or a free app dependend on wearing a smartphone on your person.... Nothing in between.

Susan

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
Have you looked into service dogs? I can't claim much knowledge about that sort of thing, but I know that some dogs can be trained to warn their owner when they sense a seizure coming on. Best of luck to your daughter
Best Answer

There was an article the other day on the news about the fitbit tracking the recent California earthquake. I'm thinking that tracking a seizure might be similar. If she has the flex on her wrist, for example, wouldn't there be a sudden burst of activity? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I understand that this is from a couple of years ago, but wanted to reply anyways.  I am sorry to hear about your daughter.  I hope she is doing much better.  I personally have had seizures for 12 years, and am now involved in a great not-for-profit epilepsy foundation that focuses not only about seizure safety, but also what devices are out there to monitor seizure activity.  If you havent done so yet, check out EmFit or SAMI Monitor.  There are others out there, but wanted to throw those out there.

Best Answer

I recently experienced a seizure for the first time that appears to be a result of some complications from a stroke in January.  I just went and looked at my fitbit date for this time and it does show a dramatic increase in heart rate during the seizure but there is no hint of anything abmormal leading up to it

Best Answer

I've had MILD seizures in the past (petit mal, absence seizures) and I have extreme anxiety and panic attacks. I have the Charge HR which, judging by BPM, it can tell when something was up.

Unfortunately, due to high anxiety, it thinks I'm active much more often than I am. LOL!

Best Answer
0 Votes

There might be a better one to monitor that. I just wanted the basics 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

hi
i have epilepsy for the last 24yrs and i have the charge HR and i have noticed since having it. it has helped.
because when im leading into a seizure and i feel not 100% my Heart Rate on my fitbit is climbing to near 120 where it is usually at 70 so i find it useful

feel free to add me 🙂
always keen for a chat

Best Answer

The pebble smartwatch monitors abnormal motion and has a clever alarm system via phone links. Fitbit have acquired pebble's intellectual property so they now need to be pressed into incorporating this into their own products.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My old fitbit blaze captured my grandmal dramatic raise in HR from 59 to 100+ would be nice. Still neat to see the data after. image.jpg

Best Answer

There is a Fitbit like bracelet that can help sensor seizures. It’s called embrace by empatica. I’m sorry to hear about your daughters seizure. It’s very scary. My daughter has epilepsy and is on daily medicine for seizures. I also worry for her at night, since her seizures happen in her sleep. I bought a camera for her room that is linked to my phone. It hasn’t night vision and also detects movement. Hope you get answers as to why she had one. It took us a while to find out my daughters diagnosis but she has been 6 months seizure free. And I’m so thankful the meds work and we now know what’s going on. Like you, I’ve been researching fitbits and different brands to see if they have something we could use to keep track of her sleep and such. So far I’ve found the embrace. But I don’t have over 149$ to spend right now. But unless I find something better, we’ll be getting one of those. Praying for your sweet daughter and for your stress and worry. It has to be scary especially if it was the first time. Wishing you well.

-Kim

Best Answer
0 Votes

We just got our embrace today for my son who had his first seizure a week ago. I’m going to return it. The person must have a mobile device with WiFi or cell data in order to notify you. A 2nd grader will not successfully carry one with them all day. I thought about the backpack but that’s when an adult is there. Now for sleeping time it does seem tempting to keep for it but I had it connected to my phone and sitting on the other side of the house the band kept on disconnecting and connecting again. Mind you I pad 300+ for it and there is a monthly fee. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Also the embrace only captures grandmal seizures  from my understanding.  😕

Best Answer
0 Votes

would be great, I have epilepsy/seizures myself

Best Answer
0 Votes
My son now uses Samsung Gear Fit2 Pro with a mobile phone app called Inspyre

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Best Answer

thanks I'll take a look

all this hassle with the charge 2 not syncing isn't doing me any good

plus it would do my family wonders

they already took out Life360 subscription because when I had a grand mal, or rather after, I go for walks as it were and end up anywhere.....

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I just recently got diagnosed with epilepsy and have been trying to figure out what is triggering my Grand Mal seizures and recognizing when I’m having them especially when I am sleeping. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to recognize seizures? I have the Fitbit Inspire HR and it has some new resting heart rate features in addition to all the other features. 

Best Answer