Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should You Make 15,000 Steps per Day Your Goal? (From Verywell Fit)

Found this article while I was looking for something else. It's an interesting read and the site has lots of good info as well.

Should You Make 15,000 Steps per Day Your Goal?

You Might Reduce Your Cardiovascular Risks by Walking More and Sitting Less

https://www.verywellfit.com/should-you-make-15-000-steps-per-day-your-goal-4138310

Keep Steppin!
Sal
Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

Thanks for the article! Was a good read!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's important to look at the type of study to decide if you should take action. This was a cross-sectional study, which is a type of observational study at a point in time. All that can be drawn from this type of study is deciding if the subject merits further research.

The study starts out by saying:

BACKGROUND:

The relationship between metabolic risk and time spent sitting, standing and stepping has not been well established. 

No researcher can be expected to know about all the research out there. This book explains an outstanding research project:

Get up: Why your Chair is Killing You and What You Can Do about it
James Levine

Best Answer
0 Votes

You are welcome Wendy - that site has lots of good info.

I'll take a look at that book Gershon, can never have enough good info 😉

Keep Steppin!
Sal
Best Answer

What is your age? For the men more than 45 years of age, there are more chances of a heart attack as compared to younger ones. My father also has some problem with heart due to his heavy and regular smoking habit. Our family doctor has suggested him to walk more than 2.5 KM daily in morning and evening and it has done a lot of progress. Your idea to walk 15000 steps is great and with Fitbit it's awesome.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My age? I'm 57. I was just making a general information post. I move more along the lines of 25k per day on average. I've helped my wife move from an average of 8k steps/day to over 16k and she is always telling me how much better she feels.

Walking is a good thing 🙂

Keep Steppin!
Sal
Best Answer

Some good tips there for upping your step total throughout the day.  

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

I feel better on days where I can move around instead of being tied to my phone and laptop so there is definitely truth in move more. Thank you for sharing!

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Hi, I recently amended my step goal and am trying to achieve 15,000 steps per day consistently. Thanks for posting this link to the article that summarized and confirmed what I have been reading lately. Keep on stepping😁

Best Answer

You are welcome @Darlene2dog2cat.

One of the things my wife and I notice and which helps to motivate us is looking at other people in our age group that live much more sedentary lifestyles. Not meaning this to sound harsh at all BUT, when we see people our age or younger having trouble walking, bending over, constantly complaining about pain here, pain there etc... most of which can be attributed to an inactive lifestyle, we push even harder.

We purchased a Gazelle Supreme recently which has been an amazing addition for workouts. The cardio and strength training it provides is helping slim us down and trim us up. I usually work out with that for about 40 minutes and then go for a 2 hour walk.

The walking and other exercises we do work wonders. I feel better at 57 than I did at 40! I don't plan on stopping any time soon 🙂

Keep Steppin!
Sal
Best Answer

Fitbit trackers are really awesome and helps to stay healthy, because heath is wealth. While, if you are looking to present a Fitbit product to someone special in your life than giving it along with a hand written note is more than just a gift. I have purchased a gift jar containing 31 lovely message from KindNotes, they have a wide range of beautiful messages, quotes etc.

Best Answer
0 Votes