Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spinal cord injury patients -

ANSWERED

I have created a team with many medical disciplines. One group includes spinal cord injury patients. The patients are wheel-chair bound. If they roll their chair can this be converted to "steps"?

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 BEST ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions

@sunshine51 wrote:

I have created a team with many medical disciplines. One group includes spinal cord injury patients. The patients are wheel-chair bound. If they roll their chair can this be converted to "steps"?

@sunshine51On the Internet most are suggesting installing a cycle odometer onto the wheelchair and then converting the distance recorded to steps. They are suggesting a step stride of 0.8m to convert to steps. You will also get speed etc..

These keywords in Google gives you a fair bit of reading

wheelchair odometer steps

Hope this leads you to a solution.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0

View best answer in original post

Best Answer

I use a wheelchair and also use the fitbit. It counts each arm motion as a step so is likely as accurate for us as it is for someone who walks.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

Do you think that calculating the circumference of the wheel and using that as your "STRIDE" would work? 

There's gotta be a flaw in my logic here, I'm sure! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

thought provoking and you are moving in the right direction.if one matches up the calories burned when walking I wonder if they can match calories expended turning the wheels and back into the answer?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I wonder if one put the fb on the wheel if it would capture the "stride"?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Found this interesting article...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/10/111028115352.htm

Best Answer
0 Votes

Double post. Sorry.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@sunshine51 wrote:

@sunshine51On the Internet most are suggesting installing a cycle odometer onto the wheelchair and then converting the distance recorded to steps. They are suggesting a step stride of 0.8m to convert to steps. You will also get speed etc..

These keywords in Google gives you a fair bit of reading

wheelchair odometer steps

Hope this leads you to a solution.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

thank you so much. this will really help. really appreciate the time you took to assist me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I use a wheelchair and also use the fitbit. It counts each arm motion as a step so is likely as accurate for us as it is for someone who walks.

Best Answer

It actually a measures the arm movement so you could get a fairly accurate read from having in on your arm as with wheelchair it is more about how much we push and not how far..though my distance tends to be less accurate..it is the alI care about..this is all because we can not gauge a stride

Best Answer

Never say, "Wheelchair-bound, confined to a Wheelchair or in a Wheelchair." We prefer the term: Wheelchair user. 

Best Answer

I'm a left below knee amputee and very interested in getting a FitBit that works for wheelchair users. 

Happy to contribute in any way I can. 

Best Answer
0 Votes