Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Help

Overweight wanting to get fit and lost weight.  I've picked my rout that I want to walk during my lunch.  I've chosen to walk up and down the parking garage where I work.  It's about 2 miles give or take depending on how packed it is.  I've walked it before I hurt myself so I know and enjoy the rout.  It's been months since I've walked so I'm basically starting from the beginning.  My goal is to be able to walk it 5 days a week and slowly add distance.

I walked it last week for the first time in forever, took me about an hour (too long).  I cranked it up a notch yesterday was able to shave 10 minutes (very proud).  Today I'm so sore! (lower back, hip joints, and knees).

My question is how would be the best way to build up my endurance without hurting myself?  I'm planning on resting today and maybe tomorrow too if I'm still sore, but I eventually want to be able to do it 5 days a week!  Preferably by spring since I am leading a step challenge for my department!

Any advice would be deeply appreciated!!!   

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

@Carrotkitty Great job!  Getting started is the hardest part, so you're already over the biggest hurdle!  I just take it one day at a time.  Listen to your body.  Invest in a good pair of walking shoes so your feet and knees don't hurt.  Being sore isn't a bad thing, but you have to know your limits or else you end up injured.  Just take it one day at a time, one step at a time.

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

Hi!

I have always heard that you should focus on distance and not to worry about speed.  Once you walk the distance you are shooting for, say 1 mile, you then start to increase your speed a little at a time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree with the others. Go Slow and then add on when ready.

Sounds like you are over doing. Don't do that as you want want to continue.

You need to enjoy what you do. Not make it a chore. Slow and Steady add on when ready. You will be there in no time

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Dont stretch it too. the good is news is you already started. listening to body and continue gradually. slow and steadt. consistency is key.

Best Answer