Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Staying Motivated in Terrible Weather

I live in the Central Valley of California and we are inundated with smoke from a couple monster wildfires.

My activity of choice (for several reasons) is walking but, having lived in the Central Valley for 40 years, I have asthma - which makes walking in dense smoke not only unpleasant but dangerous.

I try to walk inside buildings and such, but it's hard to meet my goals.

Anyone else have this problem? Possible solutions? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

Get a membership to the YMCA or another gym. Rotate your activities between indoor swimming and walking, or take up one of the dances classes etc that they have. 

Best Answer

If I’m desperate for steps but can’t leave the house, I’ll watch TV and walk in place. Better than nothing. 

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

The local college opens up their indoor track for the public for a few hours a day here.  Is there something along those lines where you live?

Best Answer
0 Votes

My apartment building has a little fitness center in the basement. If I need steps, I might take time on the treadmill or do a walking video in front of my computer. Do you have a gym membership or can you afford one? That might help you. Otherwise, find a way to walk indoors.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a stationary bike in my bedroom as the weather here is unpredictable and the roads are slippery 3/4 of the year .

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm struggling this summer, too. No smoke here, but I like to walk in the park after work, and the temps have been hitting 108, 110 in the afternoons. I do have a gym membership, so I use the treadmills there, but I tend to go farther when I'm outside as I enjoy it more. 

Best Answer

I sure hope they get those fires under control soon!

I have an app on my iPhone called "Workout" that gives me random body-weight exercises to do for 6, 12, 18, or 30 minute blocks.  I can do them in a hotel room when I travel and I usually do the 12 minute version on days I don't go to the gym.  

A few years back, the NYT posted an article for a "7 minute workout" that really gets your heart racing.  Here is a link to that.  Although you are meant to really push for that 7 minutes, you might increase the rest times to start.  

Additionally, make a game out of trying to increase your steps and activity for ordinary tasks throughout the day.  If you pile stuff at the bottom of the stairs for one trip up at the end of the day, instead take things up throughout the day as need arises.  Leave the remote on top of the TV so you have to get up to change the channel or volume or pause the program.  Stand and pace, do some squats, walk upstairs, for every commercial break when watching TV.  When you get out of the chair try to do it without using your hands/arms to help.  (Extra points if you get down on the floor to watch a TV segment and get back up again without using your hands!).  These are all great habits that you can carry over for throughout the day exercise, and continue after the fires die out and you can get back outside for your dedicated walks.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

I do my walking in the pool. That way no sunburn or mosquito bites.

Best Answer