Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Staying Motivated to Workout and Preventing Stress Eating?

Long story short, I struggle with staying motivated to workout in addition to losing weight. I'll kick butt for 2-3 months, then a major, negative life event happens. I start stress eating, then stop working out overall. Any advice on how to handle both stress eating and actually wanting to work out? Thanks guys!

My TrendWeight|
Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

It takes time and practice, @bruinsgirl33 

On the exercise front I try to build movement into my everyday life. I bike commute part of the way to work so there is always some exercise built into my day.  Not everyone can do that, but if I drove I'd probably park a mile away and walk from there.  And, of course, there are lots of other movement opportunities throughout the day that you can just make habitual.  Those daily habits are less likely to be affected by the inevitable life events that throw off your more formal workout aspirations.

As far as stress eating.  That can happen for lots of reasons, but I think it is more likely if you are on a highly restrictive diet (one eliminates entire food groups) and/or you have really cut back on your normal calorie intake.  (If you cut your calories in half you are going to be hungry and willpower only lasts so long.  So my advice when dieting would be to cut your calories no more than 25% of whatever is normal and see how that goes.  

If you bing on a particular item (I've eaten a whole sara lee cheesecake before, and giant bags of chips would last just a couple of days -- or hours -- once opened), keep it out of the house so it isn't so hard to resist.  Instead, plan to go out and get a really good quality piece of it once every couple of weeks.  Usually, swearing off a particular item that you really like 'forever' doesn't work and you may be more likely to bing on it once your willpower finally breaks.  On the other hand, if you plan to have some every couple of weeks, then it's just a matter of waiting a few days before you get to eat it.  And, if you turn some of those everyday indulgences into weekly indulgences, you wind up developing new tastes and won't have the same 'need' you feel today.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

I tried to upvote your answer as it is excellent but there was a glitch.   Great advice!

Best Answer

Thanks a lot for the advice, @Baltoscott. Usually I'm pretty active during work (nothing too crazy, just work at a small family-owned grocery store as a cashier/bakery counter girl). Trying to get into a habit of working out after I get off work, which is at roughly 3pm Mon-Fri, so I can not work out over the weekend, be a bit more lax eating wise, and not completely kick myself if I go over my eating knowing I stayed consistent during the week.

Last week was sorta successful, although I did end up taking Thursday and both weekends off just because Thursday was super busy and I got lazy on the weekends. Managed to avoid having a horrendously large late-night snack Thursday night. I'm a fussy eater and have sensitive taste buds so I do eliminate fruits/veggies and most meats. Have tried most fruits/veggies and just not a fan.

My TrendWeight|
Best Answer

the only way, in my opinion, to build success into a healthier lifestyle, is to make it a lifestyle. It can't be a choice or an if/then. You don't think about whether or not you should eat, sleep, watch tv, go on your phone, social media- etc. You just do those things because they are a part of your life. if you make activity and good nutrition a part of your life, no choice, it is just the way it is, you will find success. managing stress is easier when your body is performing at its best. it allows you to focus on your mind and emotion during the stressful time. Not to mention, activity helps reduce stress or at least allows you to think about something else during stressful situations. And meal planning does the same. look at it as a gift you can give yourself everyday. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer