Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Staying fit when unable to walk

LOL, just before Christmas,  I broke my right ankle. 

Both tibia and fibia.

The surgeon described the break as "Spectacular".  So here I am after 3 weeks, at least I'm now in a "Moon Boot", but I have 3 more weeks before they will let me even put weight on it at all.  Then there's some weeks of physio apparently, and they told me I won't be surfing for at least 8 months. I should be walking reasonably well within a few months from now, right?

Just before I broke it, I was up to 17,000 steps,and easily doing 10,000 steps a day without even thinking about it.

I was also right on goal for weight.

So now I'm using crutches, playing couch potato (thank heavens for Netflix and Presto) Smiley LOL

So any reccomendations?

I was thinking if I could sit there lifting weights I might build use up the calories?

Thoughts?

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Hi wanglese.  WOW!  You were on a real role--10 - 17K steps a day!  Sorry to hear about your ankle, but impressed by your determination to do what you can do for your fitness. I think weights is a good idea to help keep your metabolism reving.  What about swimming?  You could use one of those foam devices to place between your legs to stabalize your ankle while swimming laps.  Every indoor pool I've been to hase these leg devices, and are free of charge to use.  Best wishes! 

Stephen | USA

Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.--John Wooden, legendary UCLA coach

Accepting Solutions is your way of passing your solution onto others and improving everybody's Fitbit experience. Take a look here for more Fitbit help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Some gyms have apparatus that are designed for people in wheelchairs (physically challenged).  There are different devices on them that work your upper body.  I recall one that is for cardio that is basically a pedal that you work with your arms.

Don't know if this is an option for you, but you might look into it.  

Another thing might be swimming with a float between your legs.  Pools all have those available.  If you can get your ankle wet, that is.

Hope this helps!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ouch. Im sorry sorry. Sounds painful!

I agree with doing weights. Might as well do something while sitting there.

Hope you heal quickly.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

As said prior, swimming or water aerobics is a great idea if you are able to either swim with the boot or take it off in the pool. Some gyms have arm bikes which is a great way to keep cardio up if you can't weight bear on the leg.  You also dont have to just focus on upper body, there are also a handful of open-chain activities you can do to keep the legs moving.  These can range anywhere from long arc quads (sitting and straightening your knee like a kick), hamstring curls while sitting (make sure the chair is open underneath), etc. Also, while lying down you can do single leg raises on your back, stomach, and your sides to give your hips some work! You can do these exercises separately, or do them back to back wiht little/no breaks to try to get the heart rate up.  You can find pictures of these exercises and more online! 

Best Answer
0 Votes