Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Step Goals

(Copied from MyFitnessPal blog)

There are a large number of folks using this app, who also use a step tracker of some sort. Whether that is an apple watch, Garmin, Tom Tom, Fitbit or other tracking device, they all allow you to set some type of step goal. I personally use a fitbit daily and a Garmin for tracking my runs/hikes etc... I also run a Facebook group specific to Fitbit users, called Fitbit Challenges. 

www.facebook.com/groups/1666683276886834

(Shameless plug!)

This group has almost 4000 members and what I've learned over the past 3 years is that the daily step goal seems to be ignored as a tool to increase fitness. The default step goal that Fitbit uses is 10,000 steps per day as that is what the US deems to be the minimu requirement to be fit. However, many folks have significantly different step levels. I run quirky events for the facebook group that utilize the fitbit. These may be Daily challenges or weekly challenges. Some of them last many, many weeks before a winner is declared. I create teams often making them as equal as possible in 7 day step averages. What I have learned early on is that there is an enormous range of stepper out there.

Some folks get 70 - 80k or more every day! Others, due to medical conditions, or other issues, get only 4k per day. In either case it is awesome whatever a person is capable of getting per day!

That being said, I notice most folks leave their step goal at the default level of 10k.This could be atool to achieve greater steps/helath and well being than it currently is.

Step goals should be personailzed to your own abilities and set at a level that to achieve it requires an effort. A goal in my opinion should be something that you do NOT attain every day! That is not a goal, it is a marker. Let's look at the sport of baseball for comparison. In baseball a hitter who bats over .300 is a player that is all-star worthy and is revered by fans and will ultimately become very wealty! It is a tremendous accomplishment. When you look depper at that balplayer, you realize that he fails 7 out of 10 times!! Now I'm not saying your goal should be set so high that you only attain it 3 out of 10 days. That would be too discouraging. But, it should be set so that you fail at least a few times each week.   

Let's look at some examples.

Example 1

This person averages 13,000 steps per day, pretty consistently. The current goal is set at 10,000. Goal is achieved every single day. This mean the goal has no real meaning to that person. It isn't special to achieve it. A better goal would be 14,000 or maybe 15,000. Something that requires a little extra effort to reach. 

Example 2

This person averages 4,200 each day and is fairly consistent, sometimes getting 5,500, other days getting 3,500. This person has a medical condition that prevents significantly higher steps but, per doctors suggestions they are at least getting what they can. This person's goal is set at 10,000 because that is default and they never changed it. A better goal would be to set it at 5,000. This way on day where the person may not be "feeling up to it" maybe that goal as a carrot would entice just a little more push and reward that person, both mentally and possibly physically.

Example 3

This person averages 80,000 steps, but  really is varied on the dauly step totals. If there is an event running they may get in excess of 120,000 steps, but on non event days they average closer to 55,000 steps. Their goal is set at 10,000 because they feel no real reason to use it as they are so variant in steps. Well to me, a better goal would be to set it at 60k. Then use it as a motivational target to achieve on non event days. When there is an event, well then see how early in the day you can reach that goal. Maybe try for noon or 3pm or whatever.

My point to all this rambling is that the goal is a useful tool that too many of us under utilize, yet could really bring forth a better healthier you!

If you discover your goal starts becoming too easy, reaching it almost every day, then tweak it up a little further to continue to push yourself. (Not to the point of injury, however).

My own goal?

I have it set at 15,000. I achieve it probably half of the time. When in an event I try to see how quickly I can reach goal. Today for example, as I type this it is 9:00am and I have already reached my goal for the day, due to an event.

So try it out! Utilize the tool and see where it can lead you! 

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

Step goals are pretty much garbage.  One should be setting a calories burned goal instead.  Effort > Duration

Best Answer
0 Votes

Increased steps due to proper goal setting equals increased calories burned. Thanks for agreeing with me! 

Best Answer

I have raised my goal to 13k recently. I normally get 16k-20k+ on weekdays (Monday-Friday only)and I rest on the weekends not focusing on reaching step goals. I do zumba which gets my heartrate up 4-5 days a week and weights 3 times a week as well as walking 5 days a week. Although I will eventually raise my step goal every two weeks until I reach 14k my main focus is active minutes and calories burned.

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Increased steps due to proper goal setting equals increased calories burned. Thanks for agreeing with me! 

Can't say I agree with you. 

1. There are a ton of non-step based activities that burn calories better than walking that make a step count irrelevant.  

2. Running will be less time and less steps and will be a far better activity than an inflated walking step count.

3.  If you are into the above strenuous activities, then the value of rest days are just as important as active days, and you may not (and probably shouldn't) get that inflated step count on those days.

Best Answer

How do you change this in FitBit app?  I'd like to change from 10,000 to 5,000.  

GAIL

Gail529
Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner - I agree. Walking is a very underrated exercise. Running/cardio is much better for your heart but when it comes to overall results walking is just as good for burning calories. It might take longer to get to your goal but walking 10 miles burns almost as much as running the same distance and without the hard impact on feet, knees hips etc.

I've been using my fitbit for just over 2 years now and walking every day (I have a 22k step goal) and watching what I eat has earned me a weight loss of 63 pounds. I have about 10 pounds to go to make my goal, then I'll keep it up just to stay active.

Keep Steppin!

Keep Steppin!
Sal
Best Answer

I've had my fitbit a year now. I'm 75 years old and have a step goal of 10,000 steps but usually go above that.  My best day was 17,500 steps.  At my Dr's suggestion, I usually have two "down days" a week when I don't exercise walk, and on those days I usually get about 7500 steps.  I try to exercise walk about 2 miles a day.  I generally get another 2-3 miles in general activity.  My weight is where I want it and has stayed within ten pounds for the last 8 years.  A recent bout with pneumonia slowed me down for a couple of months, but I'm back on track now.

Best Answer