Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

StepBet! I think I finally found my MOTIVATION

I just joined a StepBet. I think this may finally be my motivating factor. I have had the HARDEST time finding motivation. I keep thinking I CANNOT loose that $40! Every time I think about it I get sick to my stomach. Sure $40 isn't a ton of money but it is till a good bit. 

With $40 I could:

• Pay ~2 months of water bills
  • Buy 3-5 books
  • Buy ~21 cases of water
  • Treat me and the boyfriend to dinner out w/drinks!

And I can't help thinking about that considering these are things I routinely spend money on!

My question to y'all is has anyone participated in a StepBet? How did it work out for you? What was the payoff for your game?

Best Answer
14 REPLIES 14

I may try it out. Someone on my weight watcher app suggested it. Have you already joined one?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have. Since you have a personalized step goal it doesn't matter which one you join. I picked the one with the most players because I figured the pot would be bigger. The first week is a warm up week and doesn't count, so my challenge officially starts Monday.

That is one thing I don't like and its being picky that they start weeks on Monday instead of Sunday.

Best Answer

I'm thinking that this is something I should get into. I did a dietbet a few months ago and I really pushed at it because I wanted to win. Sadly I didn't, but I worked pretty hard at it. 

Best Answer

One thing I really like of stepbet over diet bet is if you fail its on you. You decided not to get up and walk. Whereas on diet bet there are all kinds factors in weight loss some of which are out of your control.

Best Answer

Ok, you got me, this is my 3rd or 4th stepbet.  I absolutely love them.  I have never lost and they continually motivate me.  I haven't thought about what I am going to do with the winnings, but that is a great way to continue getting up and walking.  For those that don't know, for $25 - $40 you join a 6 week step bet.  They review your history and give you an Active Goal and a Stretch Goal, everytime I have competed they get harder.  My Stretch is 19,900 steps.  You have to get 2 stretch days and 4 active days a week.  The pot consist of all of the money from the people who do not win and Stepbet takes a cut...

Interesting and I have been paid so it does work.  Great motivator, thanks for mentioning it @MissMo.  I think there is one starting every week.

Oh, yeah, the first week doesn't count against you being disqualified so you can get used to it for a week.  It is amazing how much $40 can motivate...

Frederick..helping others have more...
Best Answer

I have joined stepbet since it first came out as a beta player.  I enjoyed it very much.  BUT it is enjoyable until your fitbit zip is dead mid-game and you are not allowed to change fitbit mid game.  So keep that in mind the next time you place your bet.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Anyone still doing StepBet? I just joined a spring challenge, getting my steps now as I type lol

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Brifitlife wrote:

Anyone still doing StepBet? I just joined a spring challenge, getting my steps now as I type lol

I am still doing them.  I think I have done 6 of them, now.

I joined the site and can do three challenges at a time.  I am in three currently!

They motivate me to move more.

My stretch goal is 19.6K steps which I have made everyday for the last three weeks!

Enjoy your stepbet.  Do you do more steps than usual because of stepbet, I do?

Frederick..helping others have more...
Best Answer

I just joined Stepbet, I think it is a great idea and very motivating! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

So I've only just discovered step bet today through a friend. I've been reading the FAQ and rules etc, and I'm a bit confused by some of the wording. 

I do some regular walking depending on the day, but there are days where I'll put 6-10k on my fitbit just by doing workout videos in my basement. Obviously my mileage/gps wouldn't be the same as though I'd walked those miles/kms out on a sidewalk. 

I dont want to join though and have my account flagged as suspicious or cheating. How does this work?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think you'd be totally fine. It's the same thing as actually walking, it's just in place. They definitely wouldn't flag you. 

Best Answer

This is amazing. Thank you! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This only works if you want to increase your workouts.  

For someone like me that is pushing it already with 12k days it would mean over-training and risk of injury.  I would require two of those days to be over 14k to participate in a StepBet and I just do not have the time or desire to increase.

I point this out because although this would be a great motivator as it is intended to be but it may be impossible for many to ever win a challenge and a waste of money. 

Not all of us can do more steps even if we wanted to.  In my situation I am literally stuck in the cab of the heavy equipment I operate for 12hrs per day with a 40 minute commute.  I do a hard 5k mountain trail hike after work and get a few thousand more steps for everyday life but I just don't have the luxury of wandering around gaining thousands of steps per day. 

Make certain you can participate before you give away your hard earned money! 

Best Answer

I just found StepBet online today.  I've read on Facebook that Fitbit users sometimes have a hard time syncing their personal tracker with StepBet.  Since you guys have used StepBet for a while, have you found a tracker that seems to work best with StepBet?  (I used to use http://pact.com as a motivating app, before they went out of business.  Getting my Fitbit to sync on schedule with the pact app was always a worry-- because I'd lose $5 a day each day I didn't reach my goal!  So, if my Fitbit didn't connect with Pact for a few days, it could get expensive!)  Now, I'm motivated to start again, but I'd sure like to lessen any technical issues before I start.  Which tracker works best with StepBet?

Best Answer
0 Votes