Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still no weightlifting program that syncs with fitbit?

I've been through all the info on the forum that I can find, and it seems like there still isn't a program that tracks weightlifting that syncs with fitbit.  However, maybe I'm missing something.  Anyone know of such a beast?

Best Answer
17 REPLIES 17

Welcome to the forums!

You need to manually log Weight Lifting

On the Activity tab scroll to the bottom and search for weights

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Professor_Fate wrote:

I've been through all the info on the forum that I can find, and it seems like there still isn't a program that tracks weightlifting that syncs with fitbit.  However, maybe I'm missing something.  Anyone know of such a beast?

I feel your pain...  I'm doing free weights daily, and getting tired of manually logging my workouts which turns into a guesswork anyway as there is no reliable way to calibrate calorie output.

It would have to take into account the weight you're lifting, the reps, the rest time between reps, your weight, your food intake...  just to be semi-accurate.  I'm guessing that's the main reason Weightlifting is not on the list of activities.

The closest I came to it was by selecting "Weights", which seems to be in the list for manual entry.  Now, how accurate it is, I don't know.

Best Answer
A fitbit is a glorified step counter with a few extra bells and whistles to pay premium prices.
Best Answer

So I understand everyone's "its tough to determine how many calories you burn" but that's not really the point I'm trying to make.  What would be great is if there was another app that tracked weight workouts (program, days, reps, sets, when to increase weight lifted, etc.) that could be focused on the weight lifting aspect and then could just sync the data to the fitbit.  Calories burned would be nice, but not the primary point.  Having to enter weight workouts by hand isn't worth it.  Entry is always cumbersome and the "benefit" rarely outweighs the "pain" of trying to enter stuff like that in manually.  Better to simply track things in a notebook.

The fact that you had a workout, how long it was, and so forth would be what I'm looking for.  Sort of "fitstar for weightlifters" if you will.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yah, I've seen the "glorified setp counter" comments on the site.  Unhelpful.

@Mukluk4 wrote:
A fitbit is a glorified step counter with a few extra bells and whistles to pay premium prices.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok, I'll take the bait.  Based on what you've posted above the basic requirements you are looking for are:

1. The ability to identify weight

2. The ability to track movement of all body parts.

3.  The ability to track the variations that each body part moves.

4. Ability to identify the workout so as not to manually enter the data.

5. Integration with web based products

With those basic requirements

1. A fitbit wearable is out of the question, it's limited to the range of motion on one appendage and could not track weight.

2. Free weights are out of the question. They would only be able to determine weight and reps and not determine which muscle is being workd.

3. That leaves you with:

a. A fullbody suit that tracks range of motion.  (How to integrate resistance is another matter) OR

b. A universal machine that has some time of selector at each position to determine how pulley is going to be used and reps and then integrated with the weight stack to determine the weight that's being used.  Those dedicated to weight lifting would scoff at a universal machine and those part timers that are doing it to get fit would scoff at the price.

In short, manually log it.

Best Answer

I do crossfit, which of course involves alot of weight lifting. I dont even bother loging it. Some days it counts parts of the WOD, some days it dosnt. If it counts it as active minuite, well yay, but if not, then im honestly not to fussed. I know i have worked my butt off for the last 60min!

"Act like a lady...Lift like a BOSS"
Best Answer
Understanding that technology may not exist forautotracking weightlifting workouts, how about a better app or ability to sync with a weightlifting tracking app such as jefit or fitnotes.

Other than manually entering of activities how about including other common sports like basketball, tennis, volleyball, etc?
Best Answer
0 Votes

I use BodySpace to track my lifting.  Doesn't track calories and doesn't sync with Fitbit (dare to dream). But it is way handier than carrying paper and pen with me all the time.  I would love if this program would sync with Fitbit. 

BodySpace tracks your lift and also has a built in rest timer that starts as soon as you type in your set.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes i totally agree. i do body pump 3xweekly i just estimate , pain in the but though

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Mukluk4 wrote:

In short, manually log it. 

+1

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Professor_Fate wrote:

The fact that you had a workout, how long it was, and so forth would be what I'm looking for.

That’s what I get with my Surge: I set up an exercise, I select "WEIGHTS", I start it and I stop it when I’m done. It then shows in my Dashboard: start time, duration, average HR, calories burned etc. Not that I pay much attention to it, but the data is there. Is this what you are looking for?

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer

@Mudstroke wrote:

Other than manually entering of activities how about including other common sports like basketball, tennis, volleyball, etc?

I've been using my Charge to track basketball.  Start the timer when you begin, stop the timer when you stop.  Update the label on the log item when I have time.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Mukluk4

And yet you're an owner of said glorified step counter and posting on it's forums...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not sure what your point is....

My fitbit was given to me by work and step tracking is part of the healthy incentive program for discounted insurance.  

Either way, I understand what a fitbit is and trying to fit square pegs into a round hole is pointless.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My training includes Hybrid Conditioning (Circuits), Running, Boxing and a progressive weightlifting programme.  I use my fitbit on all of them except weightlifting as it doesnt really work and I'm not too concerned about calories burnt/average heart rate/ steps when lifting.  If you want to keep track use a training diary...its old school but works 🙂

Best Answer

@Nick_87 wrote:

If you want to keep track use a training diary...its old school but works 🙂

Agree 100%!

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer