Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Struggling on the first week.

ANSWERED

Hi All

I have just finished my first week of running, I seem to be struggling at the tail end of the runs and as the week has gone by I seem to have got slower and my legs just dont want to move on the last 5 minutes of the outings. 

The first day I felt great and couldnt wait to go out again, so on my second run I felt great at the start but soon started to cramp up aroung 10 min in. The last two runs I have struggled with leg cramps and diaphram cramps.

Does it get better or am I just too far gone to improve, is there something I should be doing on the inbetween days  of the running?

Life passes you by, so take it by the hand.
Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@AndyUK50, I coach a lot of beginning runners and while you don't offer too many specifics, it sounds like you're experiencing TFFFS (Too Fast, too Far, too Frequently, too Soon).

Here is some of the advice I give to beginning runners:

• Search the internet for a C25K (Couch to 5K) running program, and select one which sounds good for you.
  • Nose over toes; many beginning runners have a tendence to over stride, keeping your nose over your toes will still allow a natural "heal touch" first, but transition the main weight contact to the mid-foot area.
    Run on dirt or grass whereever and whenever possible. In addition to the cushioning benefits of running on grass and dirt, there are other benefits, chief among them are a different series of stresses for every step (as opposed to having step after step after step being of a very similar nature and series of stresses), and imporvement of ankle flexibility under load.
  • When the C25K program says "run", that means "run barely faster than a fast walk"; many folks interpret the "run" directive to mean, "run as fast as you can".
  • Repeat weeks as necessary; it is not at all unusual for someone to work up to say, week 4, and then realize they just aren't there yet. When this happens, no worries, repeat week 3 as necessary until you feel ready for week 4.
  • Once you've reached the end of the C25K program and can run non-stop for the full 3.1 miles, start extending your training runs at the same pace (or slower), and keep extending the runs until you can run for roughly 1 hour non-stop. Once to that threshold, you can gradually start speeding things up, however, see my LSD comments below.
  • Long Slow Distance (LSD); I am an advocate of strict LSD for beginning runners; nothing, and I do mean NOTHING improves speed over a 5K distance for a beginning runner better than lots of LSD. Once a runner can run roughly 6 miles at a 10:00 per mile pace (i.e. 1 hour), the best way to start introducing the body to the rigors of faster speeds is to start dialing up the pace for say the last quarter of a mile; then the last half mile, then mile, then two miles. That said, once you're ready for dialing up the pace for the last two miles, you're long since ready for extending the distance as well; try 8 slow miles some days and 6 miles with a fast finish on others.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

@AndyUK50, I coach a lot of beginning runners and while you don't offer too many specifics, it sounds like you're experiencing TFFFS (Too Fast, too Far, too Frequently, too Soon).

Here is some of the advice I give to beginning runners:

• Search the internet for a C25K (Couch to 5K) running program, and select one which sounds good for you.
  • Nose over toes; many beginning runners have a tendence to over stride, keeping your nose over your toes will still allow a natural "heal touch" first, but transition the main weight contact to the mid-foot area.
    Run on dirt or grass whereever and whenever possible. In addition to the cushioning benefits of running on grass and dirt, there are other benefits, chief among them are a different series of stresses for every step (as opposed to having step after step after step being of a very similar nature and series of stresses), and imporvement of ankle flexibility under load.
  • When the C25K program says "run", that means "run barely faster than a fast walk"; many folks interpret the "run" directive to mean, "run as fast as you can".
  • Repeat weeks as necessary; it is not at all unusual for someone to work up to say, week 4, and then realize they just aren't there yet. When this happens, no worries, repeat week 3 as necessary until you feel ready for week 4.
  • Once you've reached the end of the C25K program and can run non-stop for the full 3.1 miles, start extending your training runs at the same pace (or slower), and keep extending the runs until you can run for roughly 1 hour non-stop. Once to that threshold, you can gradually start speeding things up, however, see my LSD comments below.
  • Long Slow Distance (LSD); I am an advocate of strict LSD for beginning runners; nothing, and I do mean NOTHING improves speed over a 5K distance for a beginning runner better than lots of LSD. Once a runner can run roughly 6 miles at a 10:00 per mile pace (i.e. 1 hour), the best way to start introducing the body to the rigors of faster speeds is to start dialing up the pace for say the last quarter of a mile; then the last half mile, then mile, then two miles. That said, once you're ready for dialing up the pace for the last two miles, you're long since ready for extending the distance as well; try 8 slow miles some days and 6 miles with a fast finish on others.
Best Answer

Hi Shipo, thank you for that, I am already using the C25K app from the BBC, it seems to be good but like I say I have struggled the last couple of runs.

I used to run half marathons 20 years ago, but circumstances made me stop running. You may be right about the TFFFS as I seem to want to run as I used to but am way off this and just realising that I am far out of condition than I thought. My trouble is that once I start slow I do try and build the pace slowly, but the route I take is also all up hill for the last part of it. This is not a severe hill but a gradual incline but boy does it make a difference.

Thank you for your advice and I will try and slow down somewhat in future.

Life passes you by, so take it by the hand.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Definitely slow it down.  I did Too Fast, Too Far, Too Frequent and ended tearing both my achilles' tendons and spraining both ankles while training for my first 5K.  I was out of commission for almost three months and was in a lot of pain for about three weeks.  I am just now starting back, except instead of running, I'm walking frequently and doing a mix of light, short jogging to ease into it.

I also think my shoes are outdated (seven years old, but essentially "new" because I didn't use them much before this year), so I have purchased a new pair of running shoes and I hope that helps.

Remember to keep up with your nutrition and get lots of rest!  Don't be afraid to take a day off.  I'm very competitive with myself and usually push myself too hard, thus my injury.  So now I have to take it easy and tell myself it's ok.

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

Listen to your body - if you are struggling at the tail end of your run, your body is telling you to slow down. So take the tail end of your run more slowly, focus on your breathing & the beat of that with your stride. Think about each stride as a step towards your long term goals, and make each stride about technique.  Good strong long strides to stretch out the muscles you've worked... and feel that air entering you, feeling into your blood stream and keeping those muscles fed. End your run at walking pace.  Life is too short not to enjoy every step along the journey! There is no gold medal at the pearly gates (I asked a heart attack survivor of his experience when he was brought back). Competition with yourself or others is great - but remember who you are doing this for and why.  To live better, be more fit, enjoy life, those you love and make everyday count?

Best Answer
0 Votes