Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for New Goals to Achieve

My goals are starting to get a bit too easy for me, but I'm a little anxious about actually changing them. I still can't do (well I can do but not very well) most exercise routines - but I can walk a lot. I do want to do more strength related exercises, but I need easier workouts right now since I can get anxious pretty quickly if I can't do a movement with the muscles that I have right now.

My goals right now are:
10k steps
30 active minutes
10 flights of stairs
5 miles

I'm averaging:
13k steps
52 active minutes
13 flights of stairs
6.3 miles

My averages are a mix of me doing some what of a work out to really pushing myself.

Any suggestions on what I should be doing each week to have a good work out that does push myself but doesn't kill me?

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

I would recommend setting your goals at 15K steps, 60 minutes, 15 flights, 6.5 miles

Best Answer
0 Votes

What type of strength training are you doing?  If you have access to free weights (dumbells and barbells) instead of machines, you could look into New Rules of Lifting for Women.  It's an excellent resource for starting to lift heavier.  It is not going to turn you into a muscle-bound woman (that takes a huge amount of effort), but it's good at dispelling the myth of women using the pink barbie weights for 50 reps.

When you think about it, women (especially mothers) lift heavier than those barbie weights on a daily basis:

- baskets of laundry

- children

- groceries

- sacks of pet food and/or pet litter

- meals (especially the turkey a thanksgiving and/or christmas)

When I first started I didn't think much about it, however, I was carrying in the propane tank for the barbecue after getting it filled.  Normally it would be a struggle (both hands, and maybe put it down) yet I was carrying it one-handed and not even putting it down to open the gate to the yard.

You can increase your steps, active minutes, stairs and miles... however... at some point on some of the goals you will run out of free time.  You can certainly increase your goals to just above what your average is, however, I'd focus on active minutes as this is more of an indicator of fitness and stamina.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

I saw your post in the weight loss thread after I posted this.  One goal, without changing anything would be to be green for each day of the week.  That was my first unofficial goal (it was for calories burned but as my weight drops this means more active minutes and/or steps).  After I had achieved that for more than 28 consecutive days I did take a rest day.  Okay, I looked back, it was almost 60 days before I took a rest day.

I haven't increased my step goal as I haven't actually met it for a consecutive 28-day period.  If you're anxious about changing them up, maybe looking at consecutive days to begin with would be a good start.

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

@A_Lurker wrote:

I saw your post in the weight loss thread after I posted this.  One goal, without changing anything would be to be green for each day of the week.

I unofficially achieved this goal this week - except for Thursday (14 hour at work - no energy to actually workout when I got home at 9:40 pm). It's feeling to easy and not enough of a challenge - I can get over my numbers without expending as much energy as I want to.

Someone suggested bumping it up 500 steps/0.5 mile/etc each week that I have 7 days in a row, which might be an idea for me to try without adding too much all at once.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@A_Lurker wrote:

What type of strength training are you doing?  It is not going to turn you into a muscle-bound woman (that takes a huge amount of effort), but it's good at dispelling the myth of women using the pink barbie weights for 50 reps.

You can increase your steps, active minutes, stairs and miles... however... at some point on some of the goals you will run out of free time.  You can certainly increase your goals to just above what your average is, however, I'd focus on active minutes as this is more of an indicator of fitness and stamina.

Thanks so much for your response! Right now - very little strength training besides using 3 lbs dumbells that I have and I will do arm exercises while walking. I'm not the type of woman who would mind having some muscle showing, so I love strength training, but do not want all of the weights around my house. I'd like to try strength training without all of the accessories (if that's actually a thing.... not sure). I can tell what I'm already doing is helping - we have a hill on my school campus (I'm a teacher) and it's a lot easier to walk up it - even though I've been walking up it for 6 full years.

My other option is that since I did achieve a 10 lbs weight loss in a month - I've stuck with it - I told myself I'd join the gym by my house (a Planet Fitness - $10 a month after signing up fees and what not). Something that I need to talk to my hubby about since I'd have to budget it in. Then at least I would have the ability to use the weights and what not at the gym.

I'd also like to switch from walking to jogging/running, but I hesitate to do this outside on the roads near my house and would prefer to do it on a treadmill. There are a ton of potholes and uneven spots and I'm afraid I'll get injured. Plus I have a tummy and it just doesn't feel comfortable doing that yet (maybe some good gym clothes would help).

I was wondering if anybody uses and would recommend getting the fitbit premium to help me with goal setting. Anybody have any input on that???

Best Answer
0 Votes

There are lots of bodyweight exercises you can do.  You're actually lighter than I am, but don't discount them as your weight will help you get stronger.  Also don't be afraid of the push-up.  Start with a 60-degree one (against a desk or a counter) and work your way down to the floor. (for form, this is an incline push-up).

http://greatist.com/fitness/50-bodyweight-exercises-you-can-do-anywhere

Pick one from each section and master it.  Don't overdo it - pay attention to your body.  Start with 10-20 reps of each, then repeat 2 days later with a slightly different item. Continue this way until you feel you have a handle on these original items (even as long as 3-4 weeks), then switch it up.

Google or You Tube for form.  The site below is good for examples.  If I ever get back to my lifting I may try the Pro here for logging workouts.  Mainly because my paper copies from old routines are gone and the site I used to post to appears defunct.

https://www.exercise.com/exercises/inchworm

The premium is up to you.   I like the benchmarking, the exporting, but I'm not sure I use the trainer section effectively (since I'm mostly about the food and calories burned at the moment).  Hopefully others will weigh in.

Best Answer
@TatiG For the cost of Fitbit Premium, you could join Planet Fitness for several months. Their free trainer could help you set goals. I meet with mine once a week. I found Fitbit Premium to be a waste of money. It's easy enough to increase your own goals each month. There is an additional annual fee in October. Check to see when you'd have to join to avoid the fee this year. They do insist on drafting the fee from your checking account instead of a credit card. I haven't had any problems with this. If you quit, do so in writing before the 10th of the month. A simple "I quit" with your signature works. The atmosphere at the Planet Fitness near my house really is non-judgmental. Many people are using the lightest weights. A few use heavy weights, but they never act superior. Strength training gets more important as we age. It's easy for the upper body to get weak without a person noticing it.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@TatiG I may have missed it, but I am not sure what your overall goal is. Is it to lose weight, gain strength, build stamina? Because that will ultimately determine what you change your goal to. As a woman who did a lot of cardio in the beginning to lose fat, I will tell you that eventually you will want to start lifting weights- even if its stuff around the house or your own body weight. Cardio skinny is not attractive and it also doesn't help with tightening and toning stuff up after weight loss. But all that aside, your next to do goal should be in line with your fitness goal- otherwise I don't know that it makes sense- at least to me.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

So, it's kind of @TatiG's fault, but I logged my first workout in a while.  I sucked it up, and after doing a 5-min cardio (ie. walking around the basement quickly, I did some bodyweight warm-ups (squat to stand, lateral lunges, reverse lunches, inchworms), then:

Barbell Squats

2x15 (30 lbs, 30.5 lbs)  <-- have a squat rack coming, will go heavier

Incline Push-ups (alternating with next)

2x15 (doing 60-degree at the moment)

Bent-over Row

2x15 (65lbs, 65lbs) <-- struggled a little, didn't increase

Step-ups (alternating with next)

2x15e (20lbs, 20lbs) <-- single step, may go up height & drop weights for a bit

Swiss Ball Jackknife

2x8 <-- I'm bad at these, I fall off the ball a great deal

Total time:  28m11s, 309 cals burned

Normally I can keep my heart rate up while doing these, but as I left the workout until the end of the night I didn't have the energy.

Best Answer