Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swimming Workouts

Hello Fitbitters:

I am unable to run for a few months as I rehab a hip injury. Swimming is the best fitness option but not something I have done as a serious exercise. I am a good swimmer and my fitness level is good enough for me to run 70-80 minutes at a 10 min/mile pace. I have no idea where to begin working out in the pool. Any workouts/insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

@DFWLAX I looked up some suggestions and this looked interesting....3 Swim Workouts for Runners

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

So my main fitness activity was running but now a hip injury has essentially permanently sidelined me.  I'm swimming two to three times per week and then cycling about the same.  Since it is winter I'm doing spin classes but in the summer I just get on my bike and ride like I used to run only perhaps a bit further.

For swimming I do an endurance stroke.  I use a 2 beat kick instead of a 4 beat (the 4 beat is the non-endurance standard.)  Most of your propulsion comes from your arms anyway so the 2 beak kick is a better choice for an endurance stroke.  I did get "bored" or just frustrated in the pool when I was younger but this time I'm better at adapting.  I have built up slowly over the course of 6 months.  I'm now up to long workouts of 3200 yards + but I've found it is a very good idea to break it into segments like ladders or 8x400 yards or something.  Otherwise, you kinda go stir crazy.  

Good luck!  I wish I had a chance of returning to running but alas I think it isn't to be.  I'm fit and able to stay that way with biking and swimming so I guess I'll just try to stay as interested in these as I was in running.

Best Answer
0 Votes