Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips to reduce excess fat?

Any tips to remove the excess fat on hip and thighs? I have tried my best to burn the fat on hips and thighs, but there was no effect. I have lost my weight, but the fat deposited at these areas have no change. I hate fatty thighs. I'm not able to wear short skirts because of this.
One of my friends suggested undergoing liposuction surgery from a cosmetic surgery clinic in Mississauga. But I'm not sure if it's worth spending money. Also, I have heard about the coolsculpting procedure. I know it's a nonsurgical procedure to remove fat. But I just wonder which is more effective - coolsculpting or liposuction. Any thoughts?
Before scheduling an appointment with the surgeon, I would like to know if there is any alternative way to remove excess fat on my hips and thighs. Thanks!!

Best Answer
12 REPLIES 12

Here's my take on it:

Fat is distributed across our body according to our genetics. Some hold fat in their belly, some the thighs, etc. There's no natural spot-reduction method for fat. As we lose weight, fat drops from all over our body, but the places it accumulates most is usually the last place to go. 😞

I hate to recommend someone going to the surgeon for this, as it sounds more like plastic surgery than health maintenance.

So what got us into this fat state? Simply, taking in more calories than we're burning. That's from eating too much, and not exercising enough. Getting fat removed surgically does nothing to that fundamental imbalance. We can have fat removed, but without changing diet and exercise, it's more like just re-setting the clock on our current production of fat. We'll being to get fat again, right? I think people opt for the surgery route because it's quicker, but it's really not addressing the cause.

I recommend getting into your diet and and some form of exercise program. The results will slower, but they'll be much more long lasting, and cheaper. Just my 2 cents.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

Eat better, move more. 

Ultimate Goal: Mens sana in corpore sano
Best Answer
0 Votes

If you are absolutely certain and the doctor agrees, go with the cool sculpting with a reliable clinic.  At least it isn't invasive and it (cool sculpting) does not leave scars.

Best Answer

Are you in the ideal weight range?  If so, instead of burning fat, have you considered using weights to build muscle?

Best Answer

@lauren870 wrote:

I have tried my best to burn the fat on hips and thighs, but there was no effect. I have lost my weight, but the fat deposited at these areas have no change.

What have you tried, specifically? How tall are you and what is your current weight? As already noted, it’s not possible to "spot-reduce" fat (except with surgery) and where fat tends to get stored is determined to a large extent by your genetics. And also by gender: you will hear males (including myself!) complaining fat gets stored in their belly area. Few men are considering liposuction, however.

If you are at a normal, healthy weight, I would focus on maintaining your weight and health as its current level. If you’re still carrying extra weight, consider losing some in the "normal" way, ie. via dieting and exercising. Some of the fat will probably come off the desired area.

Even if liposuction worked (and left no scars), what guarantee is there fat won’t get stored again in the same areas at a later stage? I don’t think it’s a "once and for all" procedure.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Dominique wrote: Few men are considering liposuction, however.

Only because the engineers at Hoover haven't created a vacuum cleaner that's up to the job yet! 😉

Ultimate Goal: Mens sana in corpore sano
Best Answer

I think it’s because we couldn’t stand the pain (I heard it’s very painful)!

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Tracking your food and lifting weights will work. I suggest a total body 1 hour weight training class twice a week and cardio where you do reps of getting your heart rate up to your peak zone and then down at least 5 times over the span of 45 mins. This will work but it takes time. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's been said that it's quite difficult to loose fat only in a specific area of the body, so I'll definitely try the approach @brownoscar mentioned earlier, especially tracking your food, then lifting weights, doing some cardio and being patience. 😀

Following the right food and workout plans can have amazing results!

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
0 Votes

It looks like your hips, tend to save more fat. Than you need to do more exercises on your problem zones.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@AlRoss0908 wrote:

It looks like your hips, tend to save more fat. Than you need to do more exercises on your problem zones.

Spot reducing is a myth.

Merely to sell you things when it's claimed to work.

Best you can get is firmer muscle under fat that changes appearance - if it can.

Or change your genetics as to where that fat is stored - if it can.

One is easier than the other.

Or diet to lose the fat - maybe it'll end up decreasing in the desired spot - maybe not.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Great suggestions @AlRoss0908 @Heybales!  

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
0 Votes