Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trail Running

Yesterday I did my first actual trail run. I found a bunch of off road trails at Tyler State Park, mapped them out, and downloaded the maps to my Suunto Ambit 3 Peak so I could navigate them without getting lost in the woods.

I navigated them a couple times just walking, and yesterday I ran them (well most of them) for the first time. Let me tell you... It was hard!!!

I didn't slip in the mud, fall off any edges, or even twist my ankle. I just took it slow, used short strides, and walked the parts that were too advanced for me. I probably got the best cardio ever on that one. I even hit my max heart rate and my total time in zone 5 (90 - 100 % of MHR) was over 52 minutes. I also used muscles in my ankles, knees, and legs that I never knew I had.

Here is a link to the workout...

http://www.movescount.com/moves/move144277527

I think I found a new love...:)

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

Sounds like a great run, @bcalvanese!

Best Answer

Congrats for the trail running! The data (maps, graphs) you get with Suunto’s MoveCount look great too. I assume you’re using a chest strap for HR with your Ambit 3, right? Do you still use your Fitbit for 24/7 activity tracking, and your Ambit 3 for high-intensity activities? 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@Dominique wrote:

Congrats for the trail running! The data (maps, graphs) you get with Suunto’s MoveCount look great too. I assume you’re using a chest strap for HR with your Ambit 3, right? Do you still use your Fitbit for 24/7 activity tracking, and your Ambit 3 for high-intensity activities? 

Thanks @Dominique

Yes I always wear the chest strap on workouts. The Ambit 3 Peak is by far the most accurate device I have ever used. It does count daily steps, but they reset at midnight and it does not keep a history of steps. It does keep a 7 day history of activity level in the form of average calories burned per day, and it keeps a running total of recovery hours too. It's main focus is tracking moves (workouts), and it does that extremely well. Many ultra marathon runners use these devices because they are so accurate and consistent, and you can create and load routes into the device and navigate them.

I don't focus on steps any more as I know I get plenty of steps in every day. My main focus is to improve my fitness level and keep accurate data on my workouts. The A3P also measures VO2 max, training effect, and other advanced metrics for each workout.

The fitbits are fun and good for general activity tracking, but I need something that focuses more on more advanced fitness metrics and accuracy.

Best Answer