Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using GPS internationally

ANSWERED

Does anyone have experience using GPS in other countries?  I'm doing a 7 day trek in Peru and would love to have it mapped out. A friend thought that it might not pair with the satellite or that I might have to do something to make it work.

Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@wisemolv The GPS on your Fitbit tracker will work fine in Peru. Will you do some GPS art out there? I just discovered this awesome hobby many users are having a great time with.

GPS.jpg

On another note, I would recommend taking a look at these tips to travel with your Fitbit provided by @Travelor. Have a nice trip. Smiley Very Happy

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

GPS isn't locked to a specific country. The GPS satellites are in orbit around the earth, designed that at any place at any time there are at least 3 satellite signals available for any device (with gps receiver) to know the location.

Anywhere there are satellites, the gps on the tracker can be used freely. No need to do anything.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The GPS satellite system is reliable and has worldwide coverage. Your GPS device works as a radio receiver and does not pair with the satellite so that part is fine. You may want to consider a mobile battery charger as navigation functionality tends to reduce battery life on devices more quickly. Also if you plan to use maps while you are out, consider preloading maps of the hiking area onto your GPS device/smartphone otherwise you would need a reliable data service for the maps. Depending where you are trekking, you may not have complete data service coverage or may incur roaming charges.

Best Answer

Are you talking about using your Fitbit (if it’s a Surge, the only Fitbit tracker that currently has GPS built-in) or your phone? If using your Surge, no charges will be incurred. However, you probably won’t be able to record a full day worth of trekking on a single charge (GPS on the Surge sucks battery like crazy), so it’s a good idea to carry a mobile charger, as suggested by @Marcy.

If you’re using your phone’s GPS, you can preload maps of the areas where your trekking is going to take place (again, as suggested by Marcy), after which you can disable mobile roaming if you want (in order not to incur high charges).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@wisemolv The GPS on your Fitbit tracker will work fine in Peru. Will you do some GPS art out there? I just discovered this awesome hobby many users are having a great time with.

GPS.jpg

On another note, I would recommend taking a look at these tips to travel with your Fitbit provided by @Travelor. Have a nice trip. Smiley Very Happy

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer