Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walking at my Standing Desk

Hello, 

So I am not as cool to have a treadmill desk but I do have a standing desk at work. For a while now I have been marching in place at my standing desk. Now fitbit doesnt count these step so I place the fitbit on my ankle with a strap. 

IN either case I get a ton more steps now due to movement. I would imagine that this is the same as walking in place with less hand movement but movement none the less. Any thought on my method?

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Your method should be fine. It should also work carrying it in a pocket, if you don't need heart rate. Problem with a walking desk and a wrist unit is that a lot of the time working at a desk you hands/wrists are wresting on the surface, and won't record steps taken by the feet - no regular arm motion and shock wave from foot impact (probably on the low end anyway or it would make work difficult) is absorbed by 'holding on'.

Count a few hundred steps and see if Fitbit is recording the right number with the various placements.

Best Answer

@bryandrev.. I have no thought on your method, but huge kudos for keeping up with moving when it would be so easy to sit... 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Thanks. it is very tempting. I didnt want to get fat and old though 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just got a standing desk as well. Seems like the best method for tracking (more accurately) I've found so far is a knee brace. I have one I wear for longer walks anyway, so I can just tuck my tracker to a spot at the front of my knee, and so far so good. The ankle seems to log too many steps, and the pocket not enough... this was a nice hands-free compromise. 

Best Answer

I think your method is excellent. There is no difference in how you walk behind your standing desk, and the main thing is to take many steps every day. I also recently purchased a large desk with https://eurekaergonomic.com/gaming-desk-aed-72-studio-with-keyboard-tray/ so that it would be more convenient for me to work much more at the computer. Otherwise, my back constantly hurts because I work a lot sitting down. And now, in my new desk, I can adjust the height of the frame and turn it into a standing desk and at the same time work standing up, and when I need to sit down, I lower the frame and work sitting down. I can say that this has a tremendous effect on a person's back health.

Best Answer
0 Votes