Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walking.

ANSWERED
I'm male, over 70. I have arthritis in my right foot, painful on each step. I try to achieve 10000 steps , daily. My healthcare advisor suggests runners, ( to absorb impact), yet I find sandals( Merrell) best, Recent pain in left knee, a concern. Should one 'go through' pain threashold , or ease off, and rest. My fear is loss of flexibility, and becoming less active.... Any advice, besides accepting wear 'n tear.?
Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Very tough question. I'm 64 and have the same type issues sometimes if i do too much. I have found that laying off for awhile until your knee is back to normal and then starting slowly again was the best move long term .

I was doing too much upper body exercises on my exercise bike and got a stressed rotator cuff injury recently and tried to power thru it but that didn't work so i rested it and its ok now and i resumed riding.

If you can find another exercise in the mean time that doesn't hurt your knee like swimming that could help strengthen the muscles around your knees it would be good  .It's tempting to power thru injuries but it can make them worse. Dunno what you can do about your arthritis  unless surgery is an option.

Good luck with it.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

Very tough question. I'm 64 and have the same type issues sometimes if i do too much. I have found that laying off for awhile until your knee is back to normal and then starting slowly again was the best move long term .

I was doing too much upper body exercises on my exercise bike and got a stressed rotator cuff injury recently and tried to power thru it but that didn't work so i rested it and its ok now and i resumed riding.

If you can find another exercise in the mean time that doesn't hurt your knee like swimming that could help strengthen the muscles around your knees it would be good  .It's tempting to power thru injuries but it can make them worse. Dunno what you can do about your arthritis  unless surgery is an option.

Good luck with it.

Best Answer
Bill,
Thanks so much for taking the time to kindly reply to my query.I will take
your advice of allowing my body dictate the pace of recovery, going
forward. Rest....and accept, I'm no longer a spring chicken.
With regards surgery, and or medication, I'm trying to avoid both. Soon
enough, these will be the only option??
So again my thanks, for your suggestions, and best wishes from rainy , West
Coast, of Ireland. Locally known as The Wild Atlantic Way.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Bill,

lastly, I see you choose Hill Runner, as your 'hobby'. Mountains and Weather, here in Ireland, don't lend themselves to this....much. I never got into it, but envy those who did. Also doing the exercise bike, at home, I don't have patience or stamina. At age 72, for myself both your hobbies are beyond my capabilities, but I enjoy seeing others staying fit and healthy exercising. I need to do weights, to keep joints strong, this is my next gym challenge. Hope this finds you in good health, and best wishes for future.

Liam

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm not a hill runner lol. I think fitbit just gives you those designations for accomplishments. I can't run at all actually because 4 yrs ago i had  both hips replaced because of arthritis.

The arthritis i had doesn't go away  .It just keeps getting worse as the pounding destroyed the cartilage.

Another thing .I thought about this later after i responded the first time but  you never mentioned your weight. If you are overweight it might help your arthritis and your knee to lose some to take some stress off of them.

Best Answer
0 Votes