Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wear that fitbit on your ankle for a more accurate count of your steps and mileage!!!!

After having wore my fitbit on my wrist as instructed, and assuming it was accurate for quite sometime, I came to find out that it is completely inaccurate as I apparently do not swing my arms enough while walking for it to catch all the steps!  I now wear it on my ankle, don't miss a step count or the correct number of miles. I have checked it to be sure of it's accuracy now several times, by re-driving my walking route with my car, having the odometer set to start at zero.  🙂 
Fitbit needs to make an ankle strap for the bit  to slip into, but.......the large band fits my ankle perfectly, so all is well!!!!  Just thought I'd share incase their are others who have noticed that they are only being credited for half their walk!! 🙂 
Have a blessed day, y'all!!! 
Vicki #fitbitankle.jpg

Best Answer
285 REPLIES 285

I agree!! 

Even does the heart rate on the ankle!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I bought an ankle strap from Amazon.  It's elastic and fits easily over my foot.

I've worn it while using a recumbent fitness bike, which is not on Fitbit's list of activities.  If I don't choose an activity, it automatically chooses elliptical - bc of the motion, I suppose.  In 1 hour, 5 minutes, it shows 578 calories burned.  If I change the activity to biking, as I have the miles "traveled" from the equipment, it shows 1,062 calories burned.  If I choose spinning - basically, biking in place (although standing and sitting, not an option on a recumbent bike - it shows 432 calories burned for the same time.  

As far as steps, both spinning and the elliptical calculate as 7,271.  Biking has no steps - which of course would be accurate, but odd that there is no equivalent given, as it is given for other exercises, such as spinning.

My primary goal at this point is weight loss.  These wide variabilities make it challenging to know how many calories I have actually burned, thus how many calories I have available for the day.  Thus far, I have opted to use the lowest one, erring on the side of caution.  

Best Answer
0 Votes
Best of luck. Excercise alone won't get weight loss. You need to address
your food intake.
Best Answer

Of course, and I am.  I've lost about 30 pounds (again, sadly).  

I just find the variation of 600 calories to be incredibly unhelpful.  And for anyone who focuses on steps, whatever number they aim for, not calculating any step equivalent would also be annoying.  

Best Answer

I will wear mine on my ankle at work as I am a rehabilitation therapist and spend a good portion of my day pushing people in wheelchairs and it doesn’t track.  It does catch my heart rate.  I have the inspire 2.

Best Answer

Definitely is the place it should be worn for accuracy.  Otherwise, you could just sit here and just keep swinging your arm and easily get 500 steps...

Best Answer
0 Votes