Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wear that fitbit on your ankle for a more accurate count of your steps and mileage!!!!

After having wore my fitbit on my wrist as instructed, and assuming it was accurate for quite sometime, I came to find out that it is completely inaccurate as I apparently do not swing my arms enough while walking for it to catch all the steps!  I now wear it on my ankle, don't miss a step count or the correct number of miles. I have checked it to be sure of it's accuracy now several times, by re-driving my walking route with my car, having the odometer set to start at zero.  🙂 
Fitbit needs to make an ankle strap for the bit  to slip into, but.......the large band fits my ankle perfectly, so all is well!!!!  Just thought I'd share incase their are others who have noticed that they are only being credited for half their walk!! 🙂 
Have a blessed day, y'all!!! 
Vicki #fitbitankle.jpg

Best Answer
285 REPLIES 285

I can't imagine I would do very well trying to stand on one leg while holding the other leg in the air to try and use my Ionic... Smiley LOL

Allie
Best Answer

Hi, the website zesty has great ankle straps for fir bit users

Best Answer

If you are+looking for nice bands to wear fit bit 2 look on Etsy. I got some cute ones specifically for my ankle

Best Answer

I have been using one of these in everyday when I am working out using my lower body. It is much more accurate than wearing it on your wrist.  I can't say the one I have is all that stylish but it gets the step count right. 

Best Answer
Thanks. I use a recumbent stationary indoor bike and it wasn’t picking up
anything! Mine is just a pink material with a pocket to put the fit bit
in. So far so good!
Best Answer

As I mentioned earlier I wear the Alta HR on my ankle now.  Since I wanted immediate accurate feedback during my HIIT workout I also wear a chest strap paired to FITIV pulse on my iphone.  For the last four months I've used both and can compare the accuracy of calculated calories burned.  During my workouts which can last between 30-250 minutes and include elliptical/treadmill/stationary bike(HIIT) and walking outside I can say when I compare the calories burned indicated from fitbit and calories burned using the chest strap/FITIV app they are VERY close (within 50 calores) anyway close enough for me as I figure neither are an perfect.  What I take from this information is that I could forgo wearing the chest strap if I didn't need the instantaneous HR feedback while doing the HITT portion and my calorie burn figure would be very accurate from the Fitbit alone.  Even if Fitbit could pair with a chest strap I'd probably not do that because it would be tough to see the readings while it's strapped to my ankle where I prefer it now.  I wear an old apple watch when I run paired to my iphone which relays my HR from the FITIV app off my phone otherwise when I'm on the stationary bike I have the phone in the drink holder of the bike with display always on.  For those thinking that's an awful lot of hardware I'd agree.  I origionally purchased the chest strap to pair with The Elite HRV app so I could track my recovery days after the HIIT workouts.  HRV helps in self awareness for my recovery days to keep me from overtraining and injury free.   

Best Answer
I’m finding that it’s picking up my indoor cycling which I do because I
have really bad arthritis! Thanks, I’m glad it’s working for you and hope
it works for me.

Thanks
Susan Hays
Best Answer

I have the charger 2 with all that stuff on it. 

Best Answer

I noticed that when pushing the shopping cart.  

Best Answer
So far it’s working great on my ankle!
Best Answer

I bought replacement band that is magnetic on amazon 

ANCOOL Compatible with Fitbit Alta HR Band Magnetic Closure Clasp Stainless Steel Milanese Loop Sport Wristband Replacement for Fitbit Alta/Alta HR

Can get 10” if have large ankles 

Best Answer

I'm no longer allowed to wear my flex2 on my wrist at work, so have tried wearing it on my ankle today, I'm surprised at the difference in steps etc, so I'm really glad to see that you've posted this as I seriously doubted it's readings, it makes sense to me that wearing it on your ankle would be more accurate, but it's doubled my step count! 😁😁😁

Best Answer

I have a zip and wear it on my ankle. My daily distance is always accurate.  My Blaze isn’t nearly as accurate and so it now it’s worn as a watch.

Best Answer

I didn't see this post before I posted my own Fitbit-on-ankle topic lol (new to the forums.)  

Anyway, I started wearing mine on my ankle today and I really think it's better.  I started questioning it yesterday when I was in the living room folding clothes and my 13 year old daughter was sitting at my computer and she said, "Wow, Mom... are you walking around while you sort socks?" and I said, "No... why?"  And she said, "Because your Fitbit app steps just keep going up and up!" 

-_- 

The main reason I bought the Fitbit was to get a handle on my TDEE and to find out it had not been accurate was very upsetting to me.  So I began to test it and found it was counting steps for things like typing on the computer... doing dishes, etc.  Ugh.

I personally think it'll give me a more accurate TDEE on my ankle.  I'm hoping so, anyway. 

Best Answer

Held to my ankle in my sock while grocery shopping too.  Band too small for ankle.

Best Answer

I have this week started to wear my Flex 2 on my ankle. The large one that came in the box fits my ankle do didn't need to buy any attachments.   I did this as an hour or so gardening, sweeping and weeding logged a ridiculous amount of "steps" basically logging arm swings not steps.  Much more accurate now for steps. I'm sleeping with it on my wrist.

Best Answer
If you wear the main part on inside of leg above the ankle it gets your heart rate too

Netty
Best Answer
Hi my Flex2 doesn't measure heart rate. So not a problem.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi Netty,

My Fitbit Charge 2 also records my HR when it is tucked inside my sock on the outside of my leg just above my ankle. I haven't tried a size large band yet.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for the tip!

Never give up!
Best Answer