Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wear that fitbit on your ankle for a more accurate count of your steps and mileage!!!!

After having wore my fitbit on my wrist as instructed, and assuming it was accurate for quite sometime, I came to find out that it is completely inaccurate as I apparently do not swing my arms enough while walking for it to catch all the steps!  I now wear it on my ankle, don't miss a step count or the correct number of miles. I have checked it to be sure of it's accuracy now several times, by re-driving my walking route with my car, having the odometer set to start at zero.  🙂 
Fitbit needs to make an ankle strap for the bit  to slip into, but.......the large band fits my ankle perfectly, so all is well!!!!  Just thought I'd share incase their are others who have noticed that they are only being credited for half their walk!! 🙂 
Have a blessed day, y'all!!! 
Vicki #fitbitankle.jpg

Best Answer
285 REPLIES 285

I wear my charge 3 on my ankle at work, and when positioned right, it reads my heart rate just fine.  I also secure it with a sock so it stays snug to my skin. I am a registered nurse in a neonatal intensive care and we can't wear any jewelry on our hands and wrists.  

Best Answer

Dave, you made me smile today with your response about putting your foot on the sink 🙂

The reason I love my Alta HR is that SLEEP quality is the MOST important metric for me, although I do really like counting my steps. Am also just learning how it works to track running.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks a lot! I was having the same problem. Not all the steps were count because I don't move my arms while walking. Problem solved!

Best Answer

Indeed since I wear my Fitbit around my ankle I have much more kilometres 

have no more info to give 

Best Answer

You don’t have to put your foot on the sink in your bathroom 

you just bent your body and attach it this way 

Best Answer
0 Votes

You don’t have to put your foot on the sink in your bathroom 

you just bent your body and attach it this way 

its even more easy and no one can see the ugly Fitbit 

more you can wear your beautiful watches again 

Best Answer

I use a walker and realized how inaccurate my Fitbit was lately. Changing to my ankle makes so much more sense.  I too find it very accurate!

Best Answer

Seem that most people think so. Wearing on wrist is very inaccurate especially when gardening!!

Best Answer
Glad the idea helped you!
Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, now I just need to figure out what replacement band will fit around my big ankles!
Best Answer
0 Votes

@grmabrta  - check Amazon or EBay.  I got my ankle thingy for my FitBit zip from Amazon. I opted for a man size 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you. I've been looking on amazon but haven't decided yet.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am going to give the ankle wearing a go...especially when walking and running!   Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I compared it this morning to the step tracker on my iPhone. Phone app for one of my doctors was way off. I even counted along. I’ve been undercounting from day one. So glad I read this boards!!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Well glad it helped. It seemed logical to count footseps rather than arm
swings. That's what made me put it on my ankle. I did a lot of sweeping
and weeding one day. Not many steps and it logged 20,000 steps.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I wear mine on my ankle because I am a cook, and I put miles on (literally) in the kitchen! But it’s against health code to have any bracelets on due to possible cross contamination!! So I started strapping it on my ankle, and YES!! It’s more accurate, it’s comfortable, and I’m not breaking and health regulations! It’s a win win! In fact, the health inspector saw it, and decided to suggest that to others in her stops! It’s definitely a great back up plan to anything that may cause issues with the wrist! 🙂

Best Answer

I’m glad you did the “leg work.” I’m a new mom & realized I’m not logging a lot of steps anymore because I’m pushing a stroller &/or carrying an infant. MUCH LESS arm movement, but frequently the same old distances. Hoping my large Fitbit bands fit my ankle too!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you. I too found I was not getting enough steps for just my every day living. Grocery shopping no credit because you are pushing a cart. I am 71, and even though very active only about 3000-4000 per day. Put it on my ankle and consistently getting 8-10,000 a day without a walking routine. 

Best Answer

Amazon has extender for the Alta 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, we want credit for every step we take!! I'm 73!
Best Answer