Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the average steps per day?

What is the average steps per day for good fitness?

Best Answer
0 Votes
33 REPLIES 33

Everyone is different in their goals and what they want to achieve. Most doctors say we should walk 10,000 steps, the equivalent of five miles, per day. The default on my Flex is 10,000 steps.

You can set the goal higher or lower, adjusting it for your individual needs.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer
0 Votes

After many years of scientific research and intensive compilations, the following chart describes one's expected fitness for a given average daily step count. 

FitnessChart.JPG

Best Answer

Thanks for the good laugh, Marcy! That pretty much sums it up!

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I LOVE that spreadsheet! It pretty much sums it up Smiley Frustrated

Best Answer

More than 5,000 for most people. Less than that is lethal to your waistline....

Track your weight and your energy level after a week of 3,000 steps per day. Track it again after of week of walking 5,000 steps per day. Ditto for 7,0000 -- at some point you will notice a big difference in your energy. And possibly your weight, as long as you don't think that all that exercise means you can keep adding in more calories. You can't outrun a twinkie for long 🙂

Best Answer

LOL OH tooo true - I do between 20,000 and 25,000 and have no social life at all. Well except for those I say hello to in the streets as I'm walking for up to 3 hours a day. LOL

31 KG's LOST as at 21st Feb 2014 . Do not return to owner it you find it.
Best Answer
Well this whole discussion has me giggling. Good one!! I usually get in over 25,000 steps everyday but I wake ridiculously early and get to it before the world wakes up. Everything after goals met early is gravy. Hopefully not to be eaten. Ali
Best Answer

It depends on where you are currently at -- if you can increase your steps each week by at least 500 per day (an additional 3,500 per week) until you get to 10,000 per day  (and it may take you months to do so), and you track your food, add some strength training, and drink your water -- then you should be more active than many peopple you know; but you may need to try to get to 12,000 per day... because its better to move it than to lose the ability to move it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got a good laugh out of the spreadsheet. I don't have a social live, and I have borderline mental issues. 

Fortunately, there is a definitive answer to this, and it was determined by Ken Cooper in 1964 with his book on Aerobics. There are several later editions of the book. In his latest book, he does express concern about overtraining.

He recommends earning 30 "aerobics points" a week. The points earned are different for each exercise. You can Google "aerobics points charts" to find the different values. Walking at a normal speed earns 1 point per mile. This is distance outside normal paces walked doing other activities. 75 points a week is considered necessary for superior health.

To get the minimum of 30 points a week, a person would have to walk about 4.3 miles a day or a little over 9,000 steps a day in addition to steps outside of time dedicated to walking. Let's call that 5,000 steps for the sake of discussion.

To get 75 points a week, a person would have to walk about 10.7 miles a day or about 22,800 steps a day, plus the additional steps.

The numbers for running are lower, and you would have to look at the charts to find the values for a given pace. 

Ditto on the posts about age and physical condition, but the laws of nature do not grade on a curve. In otherwords, everyone "needs" about the same amount, BUT, everyone should limit themselves to what is safe for their situation.

http://48statehike.blogspot.com
Best Answer

What is your stride length and what speed per hour do you walk? Assuming you are a typical woman with about a 2 foot stride and you walk at about a 3 mile per hour pace this suggests you are walking over 3 hours per day. That's great, but with an active social life and great family and friends I top out at 12,000 to 15,000 daily.

Macman
Best Answer

I just contacted your UK support through chat. Although there have been a number of cases where this idea has been posted, your colleague requested to do so again.

Please add a Dutch food database since I'm unable to use my Fitbit Charge 2 to the fullest now...

I hope you will do so soon.

Moderator Edit: Added labels. 

Best Answer

Same request here from a Dutch Fitbit user Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes
Same request here. It would be nice to use one platform for everything. Now I am using myfitnesspal for my food tracking and it is not so convient to have two application on my phone
Best Answer
0 Votes

i also like to have a dutch food database that will make things allot easier, i dont like to use myfitnesspal voor tracking food because now i need to use 2 apps with allot of work i added the most used food manualy but i hope this will be updated in the future

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's essential to add support for the dutch language, or people go to the competition. Believe me, they will. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Can we have a dutch food database please!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here, Dutch location, dutch language in the apps and food database pelase 😄

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes! Please add this. I've tried the German and French one but they're just not good enough for me. Or maybe provide the possibility to get the food data from the Lifesum app. Which has an extensive and impressive food database. 

Thank you kindly. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

One stop shop please! 159 euro for a device MUST come with a complete dashboard and foodlogging system... 

Smiley Sad

@Dawn2016nl wrote:

I just contacted your UK support through chat. Although there have been a number of cases where this idea has been posted, your colleague requested to do so again.

Please add a Dutch food database since I'm unable to use my Fitbit Charge 2 to the fullest now...

I hope you will do so soon.

Moderator Edit: Added labels. 

Best Answer
0 Votes