Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best balance between weights and cardio

My main aim is to lose weight, and currently I spend 30 minutes doing weight training, and then 30 minutes on a rowing machine. According to Fitbit, I lose 145 calories doing the weights, and more than double that in the same time period on the rowing machine. I use the rowing machine because I understand that that gives me the best all round work out.

My understanding is that I need to build up my strength to enable me to increase my ability to do more CV. Am I on the right track?

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

You might want to try some other cardio as well. Mix it up. Dont stay with the same thing all the time.

I do cardio every day. I do weights every other day. You need to let you muscles relax if you are lifting heavy

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

Definitely what WendyB said, mix it up and keep your body guessing. It will get use to the same workouts and you won't have the same results. I also do cardio every day. I mix up arms and chest, abs some days. Thursdays I always take the same cardio class (because I LOVE it and it's high calorie burn). Some days I will just lift a little heavier and leave out the cardio. Find what works best for you by testing out your options.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

As far as I can see, the more you look on the web, the more opinions you will find. I have just seen this, which reassures me:

However, the results of the studies actually showed that performing weight training and cardio on the same day had no negative effects on endurance training, resistance training, or muscle growth. In fact, they found that doing 50 percent less of both types of exercise on the same day produced the same results as doing full workouts devoted to one or the other. So, if you’ve been doing your weight training and cardio on separate days, combine your workout to get more bang for your buck.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your reply @awood08. I understand what you mean by mixing up your cv, but the reason I am keen on rowing is because I believe it uses a lot of your body.

Best Answer

Weight training will help build muscle which will increase your resting calorie burn. It will also make you stronger which in turn will help with endurance/cardio training. The calorie burn you get from a weight training session continues long after the session ends (not so much with cardio). 

BOTH are important for overall health and fitness. 

The rowing machine is good for using all of your body. So is using the cross trainer. However, using solely the rowing machine means you limit your ability to improve as eventually you will run out of resistance to increase to. It also means you're only training your body in one way, variety is key and really shouldn't be underestimated. 

Best Answer

Yes, @SunsetRunner, you're quite right, and I have gone back to mixing rowing, cycling and treadmilling.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You are on the right track. Keep working out.  

Best Answer
0 Votes