Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the most amount of steps anyone has ever walked in a single day?

I am just curious about the most steps walked in a single day. I have 45,000, and it was tough getting that badge.

Best Answer
259 REPLIES 259

I think ultra marathons go for 50 miles (yes, in a day) and I believe that Dean Karnazes has even done 125 miles in a day.  125 miles translates to roughly 250,000 steps.

A conventional marathon (26.2 miles) will get you roughly 52,000 steps.

Not to diminish your accomplishment, because this is still a ton more steps that I've gotten in a day, but if you do the math the numbers can be sobering.

-Frank.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I guess you could run 125 miles and then collapse when you were through.
This is a feat.

Michael Miller

Modified by moderator: Personal information. 

Best Answer

Mine was 52k and good thing I had an extra pedometer around because my fitbit batt died on me halfway through (which means I never got my 50k batch ARGG!!!) but hey, at least I got my 45k in another trip earlier.

Best Answer

Thank You
Great Job! Keep up the steps!

Moderator edit: removed personal info

Best Answer

@PureEvil wrote:

I think ultra marathons go for 50 miles (yes, in a day) and I believe that Dean Karnazes has even done 125 miles in a day.  125 miles translates to roughly 250,000 steps.

A conventional marathon (26.2 miles) will get you roughly 52,000 steps.

Not to diminish your accomplishment, because this is still a ton more steps that I've gotten in a day, but if you do the math the numbers can be sobering.

-Frank.

Actually, your running stride is longer than your walking stride, so there are less than (the average) 2000 steps/mile, so if you run 26 miles, you'll get far less than 52k steps....

Best Answer

Mine is 50K.

But I know a lot of Ultra runners 50-100-200 Miles

It needs to be in your blood tho. Its not for me.Smiley Happy

I have a freind at the gym that plans to do 200 miles the next time it comes up. Think he is nuts but it makes him happy

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Mine was 53k, on April 19th. I did it in 6 separate bouts, 2 walking (briskly) and 4 running. Almost all my steps where between 8 am and 7 pm. Here is what my day looked like:

53k steps on Apr 19

This makes me wonder what kind of jobs people who clock in 60k steps or more, day in, day out, have. I have a desk job and I'd only able to achieve such step counts during weekends or days off.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer

I have seen many posts in challenges where people post well in excess of 300,000. However, I do doubt the veracity of quite some of these.

--
MarkP - Chartered Electronics & Computing Engineer.
Best Answer
I got my 50,000 step badge once. Often get to 40 or 45 since but only did the 50 the one time. Walked all that day then went dancing.
Best Answer

@markfftang wrote:

I have seen many posts in challenges where people post well in excess of 300,000. However, I do doubt the veracity of quite some of these.

Anyone with rudimentary calculus skills would see the numbers just don't add up. There are only so many steps a human being can take during one hour, and there are only so many hours in one day.

The world record in marathon is about 2 hours. The distance of a marathon is about 42,000 meters. Let's say the average stride length of the marathon record is 1 meter. He would therefore get 42k steps in two hours. In reality, his stride length is probably longer than that (top marathon runners tend to have long legs and therefore long strides), so he would get less than 42k steps in two hours. Assuming he would be running 12 marathons in a row at world record speed, he would get 42k x 12 = 504k steps in 24 hours. No one in the world can do this, not even half that amount.

I really don't understand why these people are fooling themselves this way.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer

May want to check your signature Miller. Unless you meant to post that confidential notice.

-------------

Most I have walked is 24,000 steps if I'm on a treadmill for one hour and walking the rest of the office day. But doesn't hurt to hit the treadmill again for another hour as long as I have enough energy for it.

Best Answer

People who run ultra marathons have been recorded as running (not walking or jogging) something like 100 miles in a 24 hour period. There are some who do this for multiple days in a row. Last summer a very good book came out on this topic, written by some guy who has done this repeatedly in his lifetime. I wonder if he owns a fitbit 🙂 I personally did about 13 miles last summer in just under 4 hours and got 26k steps, as a comparison of someone who just a regular normal human being. I think I figured I was getting about 7k steps an hour with some breaks in between (it was a 10k race followed by a huge hike) That would have been about 165k steps in 24 hours. I doubt _I_ am capable of doing this, but someone who trains and is used to doing ultra marathons could _easily_ get to this number of steps as I really wasn't moving all that fast at any time during those 4 hours.

Best Answer

I know of someone who walked from morning till late night to get 100,000. He documented his journey on Facebook with video. 

My personal high was Boston Marathon day.. not only did i run (with some walking) the marathon, but I had to walk over a mile to the start from my bus and a mile back to the bus, etc. I ended up with 65680.

Einstein is right about steps per mile being less if you are running vs walking, and the faster you run, the less steps.. sometimes I get 1600 steps per running mile.  My friend gets 1500..That day I had a lot of both running and walking.

What I don't understand is getting an AVERAGE of say over 30,000 unlkess they have a "walking job". Runners don't usually have a very high average because of rest days and such, as running is high impact. Walking is good for accumalating high daily numbers, I think. Anyway I tend to average about 15-16 and am currently happy with that! 

Best Answer
I am one of those people that regularly does over 30,000 steps per day Vee and I don't have a walking job. People walk for different reasons. Mine is for bone health. Understanding this will hopefully curb some of these negative comments.
Best Answer

@Ali wrote:
I am one of those people that regularly does over 30,000 steps per day Vee and I don't have a walking job. People walk for different reasons. Mine is for bone health. Understanding this will hopefully curb some of these negative comments.

The "negative" comments were about 300,000 steps per day, not 30,000.

30,000 is a lot, but it's perfectly doable/plausible. 300,000 just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer

I have done  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Compared to you all, I'm a slacker. I have yet to get more than ~21,000 in a day.

Best Answer

IMG_1772.PNG

IMG_1776.PNG

That's my best day. Ran three intervals of five miles and walked the rest. It's a challenging day.  

Best Answer

My highest was 85,000 but that was also without sleep. I might be doing that again tonight......

Best Answer
0 Votes