Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the most amount of steps anyone has ever walked in a single day?

I am just curious about the most steps walked in a single day. I have 45,000, and it was tough getting that badge.

Best Answer
259 REPLIES 259

Hoping you can help me wrap my head around this.  There are 86,400 seconds in a day.  How did you manage to take 96,066 steps in a day? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

According to this https://www.utdallas.edu/atec/midori/Handouts/walkingGraphs.htm#Cadence

110-115 steps/min is a typical walking cadence

and according to this https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/finding-your-perfect-run-cadence/

150-170 strides/min is a typical running cadence

So you can do 2.0 or maybe 2.5 or maybe even 2.8 steps / second.

So if you can go for 24 hrs straight, you could hit 200,000-ish steps in a day.  I maintained an average of about 7,000 steps/hr over a 30-hour race.  That added up to about 138,000 on one day (about 19 hours) and about 76,000 the next day (11 hours).  I started at 5:00 am.  So I did about 170,000 over a 24 hr period, a lot of it walking.  There are other folks who are faster who could probably run most of the day and might hit 200,000 steps in a day.  I wonder if somebody could optimize for "steps" -- figure out how to do tiny and fast "steps".  Maybe not go as far, but possibly 250k or 300k steps in a day???

Best Answer

On a good day I get right around 10,000 steps a day. I bet a lot of people are probably cheating or moving there arm a lot to get extra steps.

Thomas (Atomic77) West Bend, Wisconsin: Fitbit Versa 2 and Aria Air Scale
Best Answer
0 Votes
Isn’t it amazing when people poo poo other people’s achievements because based on their own ability it seems impossible.
After running a sub 2 hour half marathon I find it hard to wrap my head around someone running one sub 1 hour but it doesn’t mean they haven’t, I’m just not that fast.

Mick
Best Answer
0 Votes

@MickPenners wrote:
Isn’t it amazing when people poo poo other people’s achievements because based on their own ability it seems impossible.
After running a sub 2 hour half marathon I find it hard to wrap my head around someone running one sub 1 hour but it doesn’t mean they haven’t, I’m just not that fast.

Mick

Hmmm, I don't see how correlating a sub-two-hour half (relatively easy), or even a sub-one-hour half (difficult, but not impossible) to someone bogusly claiming they logged over 300,000 steps in a day.  The fact is, the first two are well within reason, the latter is just a fabrication.

Best Answer

JimMR made some good points above about what is possible with dedicated effort and I certainly agree that 200,000 is possible, perhaps even 250,000. But the key is dedicated effort - if I want to hit more than 10,000 steps in a day, whether it's 20k, 30k, or over 100k, it takes specific effort/movement to achieve that. And that's with no cheating involved - just walking or running.

My personal best is a little over 152,000 but that was in an ultramarathon race that started at 6pm on a Friday night - and I ran/walked until almost midnight Saturday night (as part of a 100 mile race so I was moving the entire time except for rest breaks at various aid stations). If I was faster and my cadence was quicker I could have increased my step totals over that 24 hour period from midnight to midnight. 

I guess my point is that your own personal experiences play into this a lot and even though it might be hard to imagine these really high counts they are indeed possible (to a point, given the right circumstances). I'd still like to beat my 152k - I tried once last summer and came up short (145k) for various reasons but I'm pretty sure it would be doable.

The human body is quite an extraordinary machine and most people have no idea what they are really capable of.

Best Answer

I don't know the actual number of steps, but a new world record was just established at 192 miles in 24 hours https://www.irunfar.com/aleksandr-sorokin-24-hour-world-record.

This was very likely more than 300,00 steps in 24 hours.  (At 2,000 steps per mile, it would be more than 380,000 steps in 24 hours, but likely his stride was longer and generated fewer than 2,000 steps per mile).  Probably 300,000-ish steps, certainly at least 250,000.  Note that this was in 24 hours, probably across two days, maybe not all in the same single (midnight to midnight) day.

Revisiting this topic because it is interesting!  Anybody who does 10,000 steps in a day should be proud!  That is an achievement.  Yet, 20k, 30k, 50k, 100k, 200k steps is achievable.  300k steps every single day is BS, nobody can do that (unless you put your fitbit in a spinning dryer, or hang it from a rotating fan or something).  But I believe that 250k is do-able, and I'm beginning to think that 300k is doable in a single day.

Best Answer

Yes, 100,000 steps is doable in a single day, difficult, but doable; twice that would be a 1-off thing and require a concerted effort, certainly not possible on a day-in and day-out basis.  Speaking of sustained daily step counts, I would argue it is the rare individual who can maintain a rate of even 50,000 steps per day.

Best Answer

I did the 100,000 step challenge yesterday and it took from 5am to 8pm with only stops for the bathroom, preparing food for the go and maybe a 10 minute long dinner at the most. That's about 15 hours, though I'll give it 14  hours to achieve 100,000 steps if one were to go non stop for that long. This would only give another 10 hours to get in the steps, so maybe no more than around 170,000 could be physically possible in one day. 250,000 steps just seems like it would take more than 24 hours

Best Answer

fitbit.PNG

Just over 60,000 in a day, a few years ago, really want to do the 100K in a day, perhaps this year,

Best Answer

Wooohoo!!

I had my biggest week ever back in October

Moab 240Moab 240

I did a 240-mile footrace in Utah over 4.5 days.  With lots of training, little sleep, and incredible support along the way.  This is probably the upper limit of what I could ever do.  I was quite beat up at the finish.

But more is possible!  Some of the top runners in 6-day events probably reach 200k steps a day for 4-6 days.  Some of the top thru-hikers on the Appalachian Trail or Pacific Crest Trail probably sustain an average of 100k steps a day for 1-2 months.  

It is fun to explore the limits of your own potential! Good luck out there!

Best Answer

Ezpz I got 202k steps ez

Best Answer

Really interesting to learn about Sorokin's amazing 24-hour run.  192 miles!  I would guess that his running stride would be over a yard, so he might do as few as 1500 steps per mile - which would give him a daily total of 288,000.  1563 steps per mile would be just enough for 300,000, so I agree with you that it's doable.

Not by me!  My best in a calendar day is roughly 91,000, when I did an organised walk of 42 miles which started at 4 a.m.  I've done over 120,000 in 24 hours several times, as I took part in an annual 50 mile hike for a number of years.  It began at 1 p.m., so I would normally complete about 80,000 steps by midnight, and then 40,000 the next day, finishing the walk between 5 and 7 a.m.

Best Answer

20D5C123-ACF0-4062-973F-53B0D58B18F6.png

 I think 300k might be possible…

Best Answer

6BA3725B-8B15-4AAC-B704-3087BB1B9B6A.png

Anyone say 200k?

Best Answer

16935EB0-FF5F-4ECA-9CEC-FDA541AA37BA.png

 I mean 300k is possible because after an 8hr sleep I got 200k somehow.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thinking about this further, 300,000 steps in 24 hours requires an average of 12,500 per hour.  Looking at videos, Sorokin runs at about 180 steps per minute, which is very similar to Mo Farah.  That gives him 10,800 per hour and 259,200 per 24 hours - and a stride length of just under 47 inches.  That looks about right from watching him run.

So to get 300,000 steps in 24 hours, you'd need 208.33 steps per minute, i.e. between 3 and 4 every second.  That really would take some doing!  

Best Answer

Ignore Speedy Potato.  It's a brand new potato not believable at all. Also note it doesn't show us it's zone minutes. 

Best Answer

Ik this is really old but I did 40 000 when I was 16 and trying to do 50 000 this summer

Best Answer
0 Votes
Congratulations!

My next adventure starts tomorrow -- going to try to do roughly 100,000
steps/day for four straight days!
Best Answer
0 Votes