Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your workout regimen???

I just like to ask and see what others do for workouts?  Is it just walking?  I mean does walking really make you get to your goals?  I remember watching my mom growing up walking all the time and she always struggled w/ weight?  I do cardio and I have an awesome support system.  That is the secret I feel is that support system!!!  People who help even more on this journey.  So please lets start a conversation on your workout regimen.  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

Hi @SunsetRunner,

I think walking is some of the best exercise. Of course, to meet weight goals, attention to diet is a must. Walking, or any exercise is only part of the equation.

I try to take walks almost every day, and also do strength/resistance training, which I think everyone over 40 should be doing to lessen the bone and lean mass loss that comes with age.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @SunsetRunner,

I love walking! And having that daily step goal really inspires me to get out and walk more during the working day. I try and fit in 2-3 walks a week (longer than 20mins) pretty much just for the mental side of it. It's so relaxing and allows me to catch up on podcasts!

Walking is also awesome because it gets your heart rate into the fat burning zone (jogging works on your cardiovascular fitness which in turn aids with weightloss but in different ways!).

As @WavyDavey says it's a wondering addition to strength training and no matter what your goals it's definitely beneficial.

I walk/run 2 - 3 times a week and do strength training 2 - 3 times a week and this works for me!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree with the others. Im a walker and go daily. I also do other things during the day for exercise.

I have weights, kettlebells which I think are important. Its not all about Cardio.

But it still all comes down to what you put in your mouth.

You need variety

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

Walking, both with my dog and on my own, as well as weights, yoga, rebounding too.Occasionally cycling.

Allie
Best Answer
0 Votes

My regimen is mostly resistance training (5 days a week, sessions of 1-1.5 hours) and walking (usually, everyday). I just celebrated by 5th year Fitbit anniversary yesterday and my average step count has been pretty constant over the years (about 18k). I tend to dissociate physical exercise from weight management: for me, exercise is for health and fitness, whereas weight is controlled primarily through the diet. Of course, being physically active makes weight management much easier, as you have more calories to play with.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I mostly do walking (40 minutes a day minimum) but that is because of my lifestyle (no car and leaving in a compact urban area), resistance training, stretching, mobility training and cardio (elliptical, indoor bicycle, steps). 

My workout regimen is designed to help me manage Ankylosing Spondylitis, in addition to help with weight management and general fitness.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I lift weights 2x/week, spin class 2x/week, and some sort of alternate "fun" exercise 1x/week (horseback riding, yoga, etc). I give myself 2 rest days.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I workout 5 days a week. 2 Days on, then a day off.

I do mostly weight lifting, and work my entire body over four days.

Example:

Day One: Chest, Triceps, Abs

Day Two: Back, Biceps, Lower back

Day Three: Rest Day

Day Four: Legs, Shoulders, Abs or Lower Back

(Repeat 2 day on, one day off routine)

I do 6 total lifts per workout. Between each lift, I will do 5 *fast walking* laps around the gym holding 15 pound dumbbells in each hand. Basically the laps are my "cardio" because frankly I can't stand doing it on the machines. Plus, this way, I can't lean, or hold on to anything. It really gets my heart rate up, too.

My laps equal about 30 laps per workout.

My whole workout takes just under 1.5 hours. I've been doing different variations of this routine over the course of my 15 months of weight loss. For me, this is a moderately to intense workout. I feel it for the first 2 hours, but after that, I get very energized for the rest of the day.

I also do my workouts early in the morning hours. I can get very lazy at the end of the day after work, etc.

Best Answer
0 Votes