Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's your favorite food scale

I'm looking for a food scale to meausre my foods.  i'm getting back into the fitness and nutrition and I know how important it is to be accurate and a food scale is our best bet.  My husband said i need to spend a lot on it but I don't feel I need to.

Anyway, what scale do you use and/or recommend.  🙂  Thanks!

"junk food you've craved for an hour, or the body you've craved for a lifetime...your decision"

"Dear Stomach...you are bored, not hungry, so Shut Up!"

Starting weight: 170 lbs
Current Weight: 159 lbs
Goal Weight: 125 lbs
Fitbit Charge HR
Best Answer
0 Votes
10 REPLIES 10

@DaniellaH wrote:

I'm looking for a food scale to meausre my foods.  i'm getting back into the fitness and nutrition and I know how important it is to be accurate and a food scale is our best bet.  My husband said i need to spend a lot on it but I don't feel I need to.

Anyway, what scale do you use and/or recommend.  🙂  Thanks!

The best food scale is the Fitbit Aria - when you get on it, you know if you consumed to many

calories, and the Fitbit dashboard (extra that you get with the Aria) will keep you on track.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@yarddog wrote:
The best food scale is the Fitbit Aria - when you get on it, you know if you consumed to many

calories, and the Fitbit dashboard (extra that you get with the Aria) will keep you on track.

That's not a food scale though right?  I'm looking for one to keep in my kitchen on the counter. 

"junk food you've craved for an hour, or the body you've craved for a lifetime...your decision"

"Dear Stomach...you are bored, not hungry, so Shut Up!"

Starting weight: 170 lbs
Current Weight: 159 lbs
Goal Weight: 125 lbs
Fitbit Charge HR
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been using this scale for several years now. Reliable and takes up very little space. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

No it is not a food scale.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@yarddog wrote:

People who are trying to learn portion control may not understand what standard servings are by looking at it, and a food scale can help a lot. After a while you start being able to estimate how much egg fried rice you may be able to have, but for people just starting to cook for themselves they may not want to wait until they gained a few pounds before adjusting their food.

Best Answer

I went to find the brand and model on mine, and found it has ZERO identifying marks on it.  So much for that, and it's a good one too.

I just got one for work - an Ivation digital food scale from Amazon.  It was only $16 and had reasonable reviews.  I haven't had a chance to use it yet, so I'll update when I do.

I didn't use to think they were a big deal, but I'm starting to see how "serving size" and "amount I actually eat" are two completely different things, and getting them wrong can throw you way off after a while.

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57
Best Answer
0 Votes

I use a food scale almost every day, particularly for lunch, where I like to keep my portion size at 4-6 oz. I had this one for several years before it finally died:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JVCQPC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I replaced it with this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WJMTNA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I love/hate them both for different reasons. The first one showed parts of oz as tenths, and it displayed whole oz as simply oz, not pounds, which I found easier to convert in my head if I was portioning out food. So, if I was making hamburgers, and had 32oz of meat, I could portion out 4 8oz burgers easily. The OXO displays oz parts as fractions, and whole oz over a pound as lbs/oz, so the same 32 oz of burger woudl display as 2 lb, 0 oz. Not a problem if you end up with a nice even number like that, but you get 1 lb 2 3/8 oz on the screen and want to split that into 4 equal portions it's not so easy. You can use gram weight as well, and that often what I switch to when I end up with a weird number of oz. 

What I do like aobut the OXO is that the screen pulls away from the unit, so if you have a large bowl that obscures the screen, you can pull the screen out and see what you are doing. It's more solidly built than the Escali, and I expect it to last many years.

If I could combine the oz displays of the Escali with the pull out screen and build quality of the OXO, it would be the perfect kitchen scale.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Check out Smart Chef Food Scale, which syncs with Fitbit.

http://www.smartchef.me

Best Answer

I just bought one through Costco today: Vitamix (it's bluetooth) download a app called "Perfect Blend"

Can't wait to use it ! Smiley Happy

Also says you can sync it with fitness apps

Best Answer
0 Votes

Does the synchronization between the Smart Chef app and Fitbit still work? I am asking because I have another Smart Kitchen Scale (without sending data to Fitbit) and I don't want to spend money on a feature that won't work.

Best Answer
0 Votes