Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats The Difference? Calorie deficit with high Carbs vs High Protein

ANSWERED

I know that protein is needed for building muscle and of course mustle is better than fat, But assuming I'm not protein deprived, is it bad to be eating a diet high in carbs. While maintining a calory deficit of 1300 per day (on average)

Me: 6'3 230lbs, athletic build but about 25 lbs of fat I could lose.

In vs Out average: 2600 / 3900

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

You will get people on both sides of the fence who will argue their points to the grave.  Pro carb vs Anti carb.

Carbs are not the enemy when trying to lose weight.  A caloric surplus is.  If given what you said, you are getting an adequate amount of protein and are carrying a deficit, the weight will drop.  

I personally find protein more filling, and consume a high amount of it, but also consume a lot of carbs and am doing fine with respect to my goals.

If it works for you and your body, keep at it.

@NYCypher wrote:

I know that protein is needed for building muscle and of course mustle is better than fat, But assuming I'm not protein deprived, is it bad to be eating a diet high in carbs. While maintining a calory deficit of 1300 per day (on average)

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
18 REPLIES 18

You will get people on both sides of the fence who will argue their points to the grave.  Pro carb vs Anti carb.

Carbs are not the enemy when trying to lose weight.  A caloric surplus is.  If given what you said, you are getting an adequate amount of protein and are carrying a deficit, the weight will drop.  

I personally find protein more filling, and consume a high amount of it, but also consume a lot of carbs and am doing fine with respect to my goals.

If it works for you and your body, keep at it.

@NYCypher wrote:

Best Answer

Totally agree with Tave.

Back when I ran a lot, I lived on mainly carbs (50-60% or more). Losing weight was a simple matter of eating less than I burned.

The last time I focused on losing weight, I tried a high-protein diet and similar to Tave, I found it more filling and thus I felt hungry less often as compared to when I've lost weight with high carbs.

This time around, I'm going for a more balanced approach. I'm predicting that as long as I focus on eating less than I burn, I'll once again be successful at losing the weigh I want to lose.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am with Tave on this. You will get both opinions and it boils down to personal preference. The only thing I would question is the type of carb it is. If its carbs from fruit, whole grain, oats, etc- enjoy the heck out of them. If you are eating simple carbs- not much happening for your nutrition. I am a carb believer. It is not the enemy- it is the round out to a healthy diet where there isn't a feeling of going without.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Like everyone else already said: total calories is what matters most. If you are very active (as suggested by your calorie expenditure), you need carbs to fuel all that exercise. Low carb is best suited for sedentary people, because they are the ones at risk to have their carbs stored as fat. If you are in a 1300 calorie deficit (too large to be sustainable for more than a few weeks IMO, but that’s another debate), your carbs won’t be stored as fat.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@Dominique wrote:

If you are in a 1300 calorie deficit (too large to be sustainable for more than a few weeks IMO, but that’s another debate)

Thats my average after 7 weeks Man Very Happy and I'm hardly working out. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@NYCypher wrote:

Thats my average after 7 weeks Man Very Happy and I'm hardly working out. 

You posted your step count in this post last week: it shows typical daily steps between 15k and 20k. I wouldn’t call this "hardly working out". Even if it’s merely walking, it requires a good two hours to achieve. I think you will need to give your body a break at some point, to recover from the stress you’re exposing it to.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer
0 Votes

When I first got fitbit and it hadn't snowed yet I was walking my dogs a lot and sometimes went to the track but for the last month I've been between 13k-16k steps and eating 2300 and burning 3600. I've probably done cardio 3 times in the last week

. I work from home as a web designer and have two small kids which keeps me pretty active but I'm definatly not pushing my body.Fitbit says I burn about 2200 doing absolutly nothing (if I took my surge off).

I actually feel really good that I'm losing this much weight on a diet that I never feel deprived on and with minimal exercise. I used to think I had to (and did) cut my cals in to 1500 per day and do cardio 4x a week (most certainly not healthy)

Best Answer
0 Votes

In the end, it’s whatever floats your boat. Not everyone’s body behaves in exactly the same way.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just read an article in Consumers Report on Clean products and their claims. Claim 1 it removes toxins. According to a Nephrologist, " the kidneys and liver are the bodies natural detoxers. Claim 2. They reset your digestive system.  According to a Gastroenterologist, 'unless you have a condition as inflammatory bowel disease, or Crohns's disease, it's not necessary to reset your disgestive system, in fact many cleanses are very low in fiber, a compenent that helps your digestive system run smoothly.  Takes off weight.  A dietitian stated you will probably lose weight because the 3 day peogram ranges from 735 to 1520 calories per day.  the majority of that weight lose will be water, and will come back if you return to eating a normal diet. Claim, it reduces your dependence on unhealthy, processed food, but that is ones personal choice.  Doing it longer than 3 days isn't wise because you won't get the nutrients your body needs.  The Government's recommended daily distribution of calories is this: 50% complex. carbohydrates,30% fat,and 20% protein.  These cleanses contain 77% carbs,16% fat and 7% protein.  Their cost of a 3 day cleanse is about $200.00.  The theory that all carbs are bad for you is just false, stay away from simple carbs, move toward more healthy complex carbs, fruits, vegtables, because you body needs them, especially if you train hard.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree with Dominique, you might not feel it now, but you will in the future.  I ran 6-7 miles everyday for over 25 years, like some runner's I was addicted.  I didn't run if it was raining hard, or the streets were icy, but other than that nothing stopped me.  Thats about 2500 miles a year, for 25 years, at the end my mind was willing but the body was not, chronic Plantariitis, and looming Patellar-Femoral problems, convinced me to find other means to feed my Endorphins and Enkephalins, now I'm symptom free.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just realized I mis typed in my post above it should have read that I've done cardio 3 times in the last month not week. I am not pushing myself. I guess I'm just blessed to have a high metabolism and a reasonably active every day life. I've been shedding pounds pounds on almost diet alone and as I said eating 2300-2600 per day keeps me satisfied.

But two days ago I started P90X 3 on the suggestion of a community member. All the workouts are 30 minutes and seem to burn between 250 and 450 (assuming the agility/ jumping disk has the biggest burn). 

Best Answer

Well, what is your goal?  Shed pounds or become more fit?  As I've said before I don't believe in the high Protein diets, they believe all carbs are bad.  The Government recently came out with their recommendations, stating one's diet should consist of 50% carbs, 30% fat and 20% proteins.  But choose wisely, go for good complex carbs, fruits, vegtables, plus 25 grams of fiber.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Lose 15lb more of fat and gain 10 lbs of muscle.
Best Answer
0 Votes

What about fitness?

Best Answer

Not all carbohydrates are the same. Carbohydrates from fruits, vegetables, beans, legumes and whole grains are complex and take longer to digest and be turned into energy. Highly processed carbohydrates can spike the blood glucose and should be avoided. Highly processed carbohydrates have more sugar, fat, less fiber and usually come in a box or bag at the grocery store.

Protein takes longer to digest and be turned into energy, therefore it decrease cravings and over eating. Protein is both plant based and animal based. Try adding more plant based protein found in beans and legumes. These will help you feel full, improve digestion and help you reach your goal. There are some great nutritional resources out there.

Have a great day. Hope this has helped you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm on day 4 of p90x3 I'm pretty sure I'll be fit and gain muscle through this program.

Best Answer
I think fitness and nutrition go together.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Only if you eat a healthy diet and exercise

Best Answer
0 Votes