Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did I gain inches after exercise?

ANSWERED

First I'm not interested in the weight loss.  The scale is not always indicative of what the clothes and tape measure say.  I'd rather be 180 lbs and be fit then 130 lbs and trying to squeeze into a size 10 jeans.  With that said is there any logical explanation as to why I was 49 inches in my stomach the other day and yet today after I started walking (a lot) I am back to 51 inches in the stomach area?  Thanks.   🙂

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Probably hydration levels. I don't think it's related to exercise exactly. The amount of fat it would take to add an inch isn't something that you could consume in one day.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Probably hydration levels. I don't think it's related to exercise exactly. The amount of fat it would take to add an inch isn't something that you could consume in one day.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'd suggest measuring at the same time of day and under the same conditions (you'd not eaten and/or only had 1 glass of water). Also I have been told not to weigh or measure within 3 hours of taking a shower or intense exercise. Blood flow can change your weight distribution.

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer
0 Votes

Interesting read 'A Fitness Trainer Comes Clean About Exercise-Related Weight Gain'. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kelly-coffey/a-trainer-comes-clean-abo_b_5977286.html

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer
0 Votes

its called muscle

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hydration levels or elimination could easily account for an inch.  Time of day when you measure can have an effect as well (Weight first thing in the morning is different than weight even an hour later).

Best Answer
0 Votes