Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working from home and getting to 10k steps

ANSWERED

I have a very difficult time getting to 10k steps. Actually, right now my goal is set to 5k steps and that's challenging enough. 

I work from home in an apartment. I get up and move every hour, but there's just so much walking I can get done pacing around the living room. Some of the suggestions offered, like parking further away, getting off the bus/subway a few stops earlier, etc., are great for commuters, but not so much for those of us who work at home. I plan to start walking up and down the stairs in the building throughout the day once I get the go ahead from my physical therapist (I have a knee injury), which should help. 

For now, I try to get out of the house and walk around the block when I can. My neighborhood is very hilly, which makes it a more challenging walk. Otherwise, I exercise 6 days a week enaging in apartment-friendly non-step-based workouts - kettlebells, strength training and martial arts.

Does anyone else work from home? How do yo u get to 10k steps on workdays? 

Best Answer
30 REPLIES 30

@app103 - thank you for your response. I am sure that you didn't mean it that way, but what you wrote sounds very condescending.

My original question was purely about step-based activity given my particular situation (work from home + knee injury). My social situation and mental health was not part of the inquiry. You are making a lot of assumptions which have no basis in fact given what I wrote about myself. I have no problem getting out of the house, socializing, getting fresh air and maintaining friendships. And, no, I am not setting myself up for clinical depression and isolation. I am very happily married and have a busy life. 

Maybe someone out there will find your advice pertinent to their situation, but it has very little relevancy to my original inquiry. Besides, this thread is so old that I no longer even have problems getting plenty of steps as my knee has gotten much better.  

Best Answer

Recover from the knee injury and then get out there. 

I work from home 1 day a week and gain back 2+ hours that would have been commuting and they are put to good use.  As said previously, I've reduced my TV watching to about 3-4 shows that I enjoy with the wife.  They are on the DVR until work and physical activities are done. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I work from home at least once a week. It's not easy to get the steps done. Normally my commute to work is 40 - 50 mins one way. So I allot that time and do some walking. If the weather is good, I go for a run or walk or I walk around the house. Last summer, I had some minor knee issues. During that time, I set my step goal smaller and work it through.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@AuroraKat I am in exactly the same boat. Currently I am struggling to get past 7,000 steps. Everyday I go for a walk round for approximately 20 minutes, but i am struggling to get to that 10. 

I have even tried extending my walk, but it just doesnt seem to be cutting it. Defintely working from home is a challenge when you are trying to get to 10k. Ive contemplated buying a treadmill!! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@repcosy - yep, step-based activities are a challenge for those working from home! If you can get a treadmill, that would help tremendously. I wish I could get one, but I live in an apartment. My neighbors won't be too happy with the noise! 

Since my knee is now much better, I've been running and walking much more. Previously, because of the knee injury I couldn't even walk a lot because I live in a very hilly neighborhood. Walking uphill still makes my knee hurt a bit, but my physical therapist said that it's fine if done in moderation. 

Fitbit focuses a lot on steps taken. But, there are plenty of other activities that you can do to stay active that are not step-based. Every week I lift weights (3x per week), train in MMA, do pilates (1 class per week) and kettlebells (1x per week). None of these count towards steps taken, but they most definitely count as intense workouts! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, thank you, I thought the same. My social life is fine, and my husband
also telecommutes so we make time to meet on the main level for coffee and
lunch breaks, and we go out during the week and weekends (and we have two
dogs!). None of that equates to getting in steps during the work day, which
is where I need the help. When I do have to go into the office I get more
steps in because of having to go to the printer, etc. At home, that's about
four steps!
Best Answer
0 Votes

@AuroraKatI didn't mean to offend you and I wasn't making any assumptions about you, personally. My suggestions are a generalization based on common pitfalls faced by people working from home, long term. These are things that all remote workers have to watch out for and address in their lives. And the changes I suggested, for mental health and social interaction also increase one's step count....multiple benefits.

Best Answer

@app103 - I was sure that you didn't mean any offense, so thank you for following up. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Actually I found a nice little device to cure this problem. I bought a Wagan mini-bike from Fry's Electronics a couple of days ago.  It is very light weight and will fit under your desk. I prefer to step away from my computer while I use it.  I get 1000 steps an hour rain or shine. It cost a whopping $50.00 🙂  It has attachments to use as an arm bike as well.

Best Answer
0 Votes

i can sell you the wii fit disc for $10-$20 if you want. It has many things to do, like box steps, and it is always lead by a funny looking trainer.  This will put some fun and enjoyment into your workout.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is an awesome idea.  I work from home and find it hard to get physical activity so I watch the scale go up each year.  Plan on using your method. 

Best Answer
0 Votes