Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yoga and Exhaustion

ANSWERED

Does anyone take yoga?  Has anyone felt absolutely EXHAUSTED after a single session?  I don't know if it's because I haven't gone to class in a while, but I've been more or less dead all afternoon.  It was a beginner's Vinyasa class with a moderate speed.  I take barre and I'm never dead like this.  I'm also not like this after a vigorous session with my trainer. 

Thanks!

p.s. can Fitbit track calories burned in yoga?  I don't think today's tracking was all that accurate. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

This oil business is very presumptuous! I'd find another studio where there are no scents, oils or other of that nonsense. 

Lots of people are sensitive to that, so don't think it's unusual. 

My yoga experiences have been sweaty, and a bit tiring, but never as you've described.

Peter Flynn

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

The only yoga that leaves me "exhausted" is Bikram (hot) yoga.  I would say its more or less an overall feeling of pure relaxation.  It's like getting a really good massage: it just leaves you feeling so relaxed that you don't want to do anything else for the rest of the day.  That's usually what yoga does to me.

As for your other question, depending on which Fitbit you have, you can add yoga to your exercise list and then start the activity when you begin your yoga class.

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

@writergal28 wrote:

p.s. can Fitbit track calories burned in yoga?  I don't think today's tracking was all that accurate. 

Check this post from the Weight loss with Yoga discussion, back a few weeks ago. Energy expenditure can vary a lot depending on the type of yoga.

It appears you have a Charge 3, in which yoga is listed as an exercise. If so, do as suggested by @Heather-S: add it to the exercise list listed on your tracker (you can do so from the app) and use it to log your yoga sessions on your tracker. Check if calories burned match what’s listed in the Compendium of Physical Activities.

There are 24 x 7 = 168 hours in a week. How many hours of yoga are you doing? What I’m suggesting is any possible under-reporting by your Fitbit of calories burned during yoga isn’t likely to have a major effect on your total energy expenditure, which is an estimate anyway.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@writergal28 I know nothing about yoga, but I am going to jump on the bandwagon that @Heather-S is driving.. is it actual exhaustion or is it such a state of heavy limb relaxation that it could be mistaken for exhaustion? If it is actual exhaustion then maybe talk to the instructor to see if you can modify some of the poses or transitions... I think your questions about calories and activity have been answered 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

I actually felt very sick afterwards - I was tired and just wanted to lay in bed for the rest of the day.  I know that my deep sleep wasn't that great overnight and that class might have been the culprit.  The instructor DID use essential oils at the end and I'm very sensitive to scents/essential oils.  I had no idea she was going to do so and wasn't able to stop her as she already rubbed the oil onto her hands.  I suppose I could have walked out at that point, but I had already inhaled some of it.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Scent could likely be the culprit here.  Did you eat enough during the day before your yoga class?  A basic yoga class shouldn't make you physically ill.  That sounds like the scent didn't agree with you.

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

Did you drink plenty? It is always important to drink plenty, but specially after yoga I find. Possibly there was already something in your body and you would have felt that way anyways or the yoga class might have triggered it. It will be easier to tell if it was really the yoga class or not after a few classes. One data point is hard to draw conclusions from.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

This oil business is very presumptuous! I'd find another studio where there are no scents, oils or other of that nonsense. 

Lots of people are sensitive to that, so don't think it's unusual. 

My yoga experiences have been sweaty, and a bit tiring, but never as you've described.

Peter Flynn
Best Answer
0 Votes