Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bouncing on an exercise ball counts as an eliptical workout?

i sometimes sit and bounch on my exercise ball when i watch yt and i checked and it counted an eliptical workout and burns about 10-15% more calories than walking (at 3mph)

im not sure but i think walking should be more an obvs it thinks im eliptical so thats harder work than sitting on a bounchy ball and bouncing

i calculate weight loss with my deficit each day and im worried its gona put my daily kcal use too high whatdou think???

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Hi @mewlou3 

Are you where a tracker that has a heart rate monitor? If yes, then it is using that data to help calculate your calorie burn. 

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer
0 Votes

If it's auto-slipping into a workout it sees enough steps and elevated HR to do so.

But you are correct to be concerned, because HR-based calculated calorie burn is inflated at the bottom of the aerobic range, like right above daily activity, and the top of the aerobic range, like right before going anaerobic.

But in the scheme of things does even a 100% inflated (and it's not that bad) may not matter.

How many steps do you get in a day outside that bouncy time, how much distance? (just subtract workout figures from the day)

How long is this bouncy time?

It easily could be in the scheme of things - you likely have more calorie inaccuracy built into your food labels - and that's if you even weighed everything and logged correctly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

hmm, I am not sure walking at 3MPH burns any significant calories to be honest. On the ball you are working your legs and holding balance which I think would be more impactful than walking leisurely. if you want to avoid the auto detect, you can start an activity for the time that you are on the ball to capture exact impact. if it is similar to what you have been seeing through the auto detect, you are probably close to the actuals of your activity. It isn't ever really exact, but the not exact is always the same, so you can still manage your in/out to ensure progress. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes