Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do people average 50000 steps per day?

ANSWERED

Who has the time to average 50,000 steps a day!? How can this be possible?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
932 REPLIES 932

not every works, some are unemployed, retired etc

it also takes dedication

I am retired, and instead of sitting on my backside all day, I jog/run and can easily hit 50k steps without much trouble

instead of accusing people, concentrate on yourself, do you live such a sad life that you have nothing to do but accuse people of cheating

if they cheat, so be it, they are only cheating themselves, why concern yourself

Best Answer
0 Votes

wcl1951:

You wrote that you "...can easily hit 50k steps without much trouble." 

At a reasonable pace walking that's more than eight hours each day. Jogging that far means approximately four hours each day (thats just a guess since jogging/running is so variable) and any combination puts you into maybe five hours of real exercise a day, every day.

I don't doubt that you do it because I don't know you but to say it isn't much trouble.....really?

And as far as judging people who don't like cheaters, competition is a big deal with some people on here. If I showed up at a marathon, ran only the last couple of miles and crossed the finish line first, would it make sense to tell everyone else that they ought not trouble themselves with my success since I am only cheating myself?

I could hold up my trophy and when the crowd boos me I would say, "Hey! You all have a sad life and ought to worry about yourselves!"

BTW I wouldn't accuse anyone of cheating because I couldn't prove it but I have seen people with daily averages north of 75k and it just doesn't seem likely...

Best Answer

exactly, you know nothing about me or others, for all you know, I could be an ex professional runner, which I am not, but I take my health seriously

I run for an hour in the morning, an hour or so in the afternoon, and an hour or so early evening

yes, some may cheat, some may take it as a competition, so? what others do is none of my concern, if they cheat, then they are only cheating themselves, if they do more steps than me, good for them

a fair few people average more than 50k, does that mean they all cheat? including the staff?

just because someone is fitter than you, does more steps than you etc, doesn't mean they are cheating

lets reverse what you are saying, lets say you won the London marathon, only to be stripped of it and was accused of cheating and taking shortcuts etc, how would you feel, knowing that you did not cheat etc

5 hours a day when you work is alot, 5 hours a day when you are retired is not

Best Answer
0 Votes

You run for an hour three times a day every day and you don't think that's a lot? 

It's a lot.  You run a lot. You probably walk a lot too. 50,000 steps a day. That's right around a marathon a day if you consider the extra walking steps. That's close to 200 miles a week. It's a lot of steps and a lot of miles. Good for you.

My point is that there are people like you out there that put up monster numbers and that's impressive but it is a hell of an accomplishment and it isn't like every retiree knocks out a marathon every day and calls it no trouble and easy. 9,500 miles a year isn't easy. Possible but not easy.

People that genuinely average 50k steps a day over an extended period are busting their butt working hard. Cheaters cheapen that accomplishment. 

Best Answer
if they were a friend, or I was competing against them yes, but some random person? not to mention, some people seem to be fixated on accusing people of cheating, to the effect that all their posts are accusing people, this is suppose to be a friendly forum, to support each other etc

if someone said they worked 9-5 monday to friday, 9-4 Saturday and averaged 40k I'd raise an eyebrow, but wouldn't call them a cheat, they maybe a fitness fanatic with no family, so spend most of their time exercising, but if they said the same and they were married with kids, then I'd be suspect, but if they said they were jobless/retired etc with the whole day to do what they want then that is different

it is like accusing someone getting all A* in their exams cheating, you do not know how intelligent they are or how much effort/studying they put into it, just like unless you know the user you are accusing of cheating personally, you do not know how much effort they put into it, how fit they are etc

if my dad said he did 5000 steps, I'd laugh my head off and tell him to stop lying, on the flip side, if my younger sis said she did 10000 steps, I'd call her lazy as I know she goes for a jog/run every evening
Best Answer

Hey everyone! 

I just popped in to say hi....and to gently remind everyone that although Fitbit can be more fun with a bit of a competitive element, it's even more fun when we can set our differences of viewpoint aside and recognize that everyone has different stepping habits.

Let's keep it courteous, non-accusatory, on-topic and productive moving forward, please. Deal? Great! 

Emily | Community Moderator, Fitbit

All that stepping got you exhausted? Improve Your Zzzs!

Best Answer

Ahh! I have a friend that averages 50K steps a day. She is the fittest person I know (seriously - she won Fittest Student Of The Year at university) and frequently dismisses her daily runs as "oh yeah, just a bit of a run, no biggie" <3. I think she's been doing part-marathon and marathon thingies since she was a kid, so basically running all her life.

I guess when you love it that much and have been doing it for that long, it feels easy 🙂

Best Answer

fricker, why don't you read what you posted, before you make any more fool of yourself? you do 4.5 mph on challenging ground and expect to the same distance etc as someone on level ground?

Gershon mentioned that they did over 40k, does that mean they are lying also?

prc1977

looking at wytey's profile, they do not average 50k or close, looks to be around 20-25k, with the 3 highs, pushing it high, without those 3, it would be around 15-20k

I do not do 50k everyday, just that I could do due to being in good health and retired so have the time, but can not due to grandchildren

also you have to take the stride length into consideration, I am 5' 5", so will obviously have a higher step ratio to distance than someone who is 6' 3" like my eldest grandchild

it is not as simple as black and white, you have to take other things into consideration, such as time, stride length, health and route

Best Answer
0 Votes

50k steps is close to marathon distance....27-28 miles. I know for shorter people or women it may be a little less but, that's a ton. If you walk a lot at work you'd have to be on your feet and moving for somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-10 hours continuously. Not impossible by any means but, I'd have to say extremely rare....as noted, postal carriers would be an example.

Best Answer
http://www.answers.com/Q/How_many_miles_does_50000_steps_equal

I would say I am of average height, and I would say my stride length is average as well, so going by that website, difference is 2-3 miles to you 27-28, a lot of steps
Best Answer
0 Votes

I applaude those who can do that! My heck I wish I could do that! Maybe one day!

Best Answer
0 Votes

what is your best week Morgan anne?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just barely  got my fitbit yesterday @Glen1 I am only at 6k today! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

excellent. That is really good for your first day. If I may ask what are long term goals? I would love to help you reach your goal.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I need to lose a total of 35 more pounds. I have lost 10 so far this month! So first goal is to lose the weight and then we will see when I get to that! 

Best Answer

loseing 10 lbs in a month is a great Morgan anne, Which fitbit did you get?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ya I am hoping I didn't gain any from the holidays 😕 I got the charge

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also got the charge, I would really suggest the food portion of the dashboard, you can really cut the calories that way. By the way your photo is great, you have a very pretty face Morgan anne.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ya I decided I might as well go all in so I have been tracking everything I can with the Fitbit app. Awe well thank you! I'll add you as a friend so we can keep each other accountable.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Please do add me, I would love to stay in touch with you, and keep pushing each other to make each other better. I just hope i can keep up with you? Your pretty face will keep me motivated for sure.

Best Answer