Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multiple sclerosis community here?

Hello everyone. First off I want to credit FitBit for helping me to build confidence along with my data history, as I work to improve endurance within my limitations, as a 60 yr-old with with RRMS, dX in 2003.   In particular I am learning how to work with "optimum" baseline goals for steps, yoga/stretching and swimming.  I would love to connect with other MS'ers in this community. How do you use FitBIt? have you made progress with goals? learned anything about patterns that helped you prevent pain/spasticity rebound problems from over doing it?  Helped you manage this Invisible disability, understand what's going on, cope with fear when those crashing days come along,when whole body aches as if you'd had to battle a giant sneaker wave that knocked you down (from your own stupidity pushing too hard to keep up, taking too many steps), and having to endure painful, discouraging recovery period that could have been avoided.   Most folks here use FitBit to increase steps and compete with others. I am using it now to reach daily goals, sure, but mainly am finding it a lifeline for warning me to stop NOW or pay the price.. It's helping me to understand how to balance exertion with rest periods. Now if the brilliant engineers you have could just rewire my silly neurons with elegant work-arounds!

Anyhow, I'd love to hear from any who are walking, and resting, on this path. Thanks.

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

@akaXena 

Welcome to the forums! The are a few groups out there

Use this search and pick the one that best suits you:

http://relliker.com/

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Hello, I also have RRMS. I was diagnosed in December 1997 after years of being misdiagnosed. I'm 59 years old and I also have asthma and lupus. I started my journey about two years ago after 13 years of taking an expensive medication I asked my doctor "there has got to be a better way" I started taking immune boosting supplements and then I began walking. I began with just doing 15 minutes, I would walk 7 minutes then turn around and head back, the next day I would walk 8 minutes and slowly I added minutes to my walk. I eventually was able to walk 5 miles in 90 minutes so I started riding bicycle. I started slowly and added minutes to my ride, this past October I was able to do a 14 miles bike a thon. This past February I joined a gym close to my home and shortly after I got myself a trainer. He has been able to work with me and my challenges. I have found that by working out I am able to strengthen my muscles and the fatigue that I faced with MS is less and less. The days I feel bad then we limit the numbers of reps that we do with the weights. I still use the treadmill or elliptical before my workout because they help to warm up my muscles. There are days that I don't want to do stuff but I remind myself that sitting at home is not going to help so I go out and do some short walks. I was on Avonex for 13 years and by changing my diet and working out I have been able to get off my medication. It has been two years since I stopped using the Avonex. I really love my Fitbit because it has helped me with my sleeping pattern, I knew that I was having issues with sleep and the Fitbit has confirmed it. When I see my neurologist in January I will have something to show him. Glad that you have a Fitbit also and hope it helps you reach your goals. Friend me if you like.

Best Answer

I was diagnosed with MS back in Mar of 2007.  Have taken Interferon-B Rebif injections three times weekly and for years have had no growth in the MS.  Due to my being way overweight for decades (and 300+ lbs in Oct 2013), I was also diagnosed with Type II Diabetes.  I would get leaden leg syndrome and easily overheated during warm humid summer months.

So, after talking to my doc and a nutritionist and "getting religious" about diet and exercise back in Oct, I stuck to my guns and lost 130 pounds in less than 10 months.  I'm now off the Diabetes meds but will always have to take the Rebif shots.

I no longer get leaden legs, can take hot baths or sit in hot tubs without getting ill, and can regularly do over 10 miles walking/jogging a day without any issues.

Don't kinow how advanced your MS is, but wish you the best in your continued exercise, diet, and medical program you are on.

Lew Wagner
Author of Losing It - My Weight Loss Odyssey
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
Best Answer

I do not have MS, but I have two first degree relatives (Dad and sister) who were diagnosed with ppms. My dad has passed, but my sister is living to the best of her ability. I commend you for doing all you can to maintain your strength and energy. Keep on keeping on! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there! 

I'm a single mom of 2 with MS. I have about 70+ pounds to lose.  I would love to develop a network of friends that also contend w/ MS.

Happy fit-getting!  :smileywink:

Best Answer

Hi, I just came across your post and wanted to say yes I too have RRMS. I am 38 years old, diagnosed in 2010 at 32 years old. Even though I have RRMS I have had and very active case. Lots of vertigo/dizziness along with tons of sensory issues, balance trouble, and swallowing trouble to name a few. I count myself lucky in that I only need a cane to help with balance when I am walking. When I go walking out and about for exercise I use a hiking stick. I live in the Seattle area and most people here use hiking sticks anyway so I fit right in. I'm overweight so I just started working on that as my MS has been stable for about 2 months. I'm cutting calories, drinking MORE water, and trying as best I can to get in more steps.

Best Answer

I see your post is about 8 months old, how is the weight loss coming? Have you been able to keep up with using your fitbit? How has your MS been acting while trying to loose weight?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just made an ms group so friend me to add you

i can’t seem to find any.

Best Answer

Welcome to the Community forums, @Ryloki!  

I hope you're able to find other users in the Community to add to your group. Here are some threads of the discussion forums where you can find many people to add as friends: 

Have a great day. 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
0 Votes