Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Workout" Definition

ANSWERED

Hi, 

I'm wondering what defines "workout", does it encompass other exercises such as "elliptical" or "stairclimber"?  If it is different, how are they measured differently?  

Thanks,

David

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

For the most part it's a text label description only. The auto-start does attempt to pick the right one based on movements seen, but that label change is it.

For some models selecting Weights does cause the device to NOT use HR-based calorie burn (which would be inflated) but rather database METS rate of burn which is more accurate.

I've not heard of another workout using the METS database on HR-based devices when you go into workout mode.

If you disable HR then it'll use the distance/time/weight calculations for calorie burn.

For walking and running, if the distance is correct - that's very accurate, more than HR-based.

But that formula isn't good for anything else like cycling (where distance would be wrong), stair climbing (distance?), elliptical (which has no good formulas anyway).

The HR-based calculations are only a  good estimate for aerobic steady-state HR (level HR or slow changes) exercise. And even then there are caveats - a stressed body (dehydrated, overheated, tired, ect) can lead to inflated HR over what normally would be required for intensity.

So interval workouts where HR is all over the place and some is anaerobic if done correctly - will be inflated calorie burn.

But even if that was 100% inflated burn, what % of your daily/weekly calories is it? Those are usually short workouts. In an otherwise active lifestyle it's a small % of your weekly burn, and inaccuracy is probably less than food labels are even allowed.

The ability to change the name on your Activity Record, or create a workout ahead of time to be used as one - is really great for review later.

Starting with a plan to rename and add a meaningful tidbit to description makes it easier.

Like Cycling - hilly ride, or - recovery trail ride.

Allows you to sort and see how maybe speed or HR has changed through time to see improvements.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Hi @MadMac666,

Fitbit's Workout mode is a catch-all for any types of exercise that aren't covered by specific modes already (such as walk, run, weights, etc). Really it can be anything from housecleaning, to raking leaves, to shoveling snow, or anything else.

The defined modes use the MET model, which you can read more about here. I'm not certain which MET the Workout mode corresponds to, but I use it all the time.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MadMac666  To add to @WavyDavey  I have setup Custom Exercises to be used after I use the Workout exercise to rename the Workout..  For instance.. I have a Heart Recovery custom name and after I have gone on an aggressive walk, when I finish the walk on the watch GPS, I then set the Workout option and stop either at 10, 20 or 30 minute elapsed time to see how my recovery HR is going.

I also use the Custom Exercise names for the Fitbit Auto generated Activities because when I do the gardening and mowing it comes up with Sport or Outdoor bike.. So I rename those.

The only downside with the Workout option for activities that have distance it displays NA for that and if I need to ratify the distance I use the the Activity Record Stopwatch in this link

@WavyDavey wrote:

Hi @MadMac666,

Fitbit's Workout mode is a catch-all for any types of exercise that aren't covered by specific modes already (such as walk, run, weights, etc). Really it can be anything from housecleaning, to raking leaves, to shoveling snow, or anything else.

The defined modes use the MET model, which you can read more about here. I'm not certain which MET the Workout mode corresponds to, but I use it all the time.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

For the most part it's a text label description only. The auto-start does attempt to pick the right one based on movements seen, but that label change is it.

For some models selecting Weights does cause the device to NOT use HR-based calorie burn (which would be inflated) but rather database METS rate of burn which is more accurate.

I've not heard of another workout using the METS database on HR-based devices when you go into workout mode.

If you disable HR then it'll use the distance/time/weight calculations for calorie burn.

For walking and running, if the distance is correct - that's very accurate, more than HR-based.

But that formula isn't good for anything else like cycling (where distance would be wrong), stair climbing (distance?), elliptical (which has no good formulas anyway).

The HR-based calculations are only a  good estimate for aerobic steady-state HR (level HR or slow changes) exercise. And even then there are caveats - a stressed body (dehydrated, overheated, tired, ect) can lead to inflated HR over what normally would be required for intensity.

So interval workouts where HR is all over the place and some is anaerobic if done correctly - will be inflated calorie burn.

But even if that was 100% inflated burn, what % of your daily/weekly calories is it? Those are usually short workouts. In an otherwise active lifestyle it's a small % of your weekly burn, and inaccuracy is probably less than food labels are even allowed.

The ability to change the name on your Activity Record, or create a workout ahead of time to be used as one - is really great for review later.

Starting with a plan to rename and add a meaningful tidbit to description makes it easier.

Like Cycling - hilly ride, or - recovery trail ride.

Allows you to sort and see how maybe speed or HR has changed through time to see improvements.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer

Thanks Colin!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you Haybales - very helpful!

Best Answer
0 Votes