Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stationary bike not tracking calories

ANSWERED

my stationary bike for some reason is not tracking the calories (always says 0) however everything else TIME, COUNT, and CYCLE/MIN works just fine. 

my peddling effort is moderate I think. I would like to keep track of my new exercise on myfitnesspal (my Fitbit is linked) however I don't know how many calories I burned and I can't input the cycles/min.) Is there anyway I can calculate cycle/min and get the amount of calories burned? 

Any help  would be greatly appreciated. (the user manual gave only the instructions on how to put the bike together) 

Thank You 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Does it happen to display watts as a figure?

Watts is literally energy - and as such is the best value of energy burn you can get.

Calories can be calculated from that.

Outside that, using the normal HR-based calorie burn that is done when you start or the device auto-starts a workout is next best.

If the bike is looking for you to input a weight before it'll give calories - then it's not using watts unless it's using some calculation method to arrive at watts instead of measuring them outright.

ETA:

Just looked it up - no it's not going to give a watts figure.

https://www.tunturi.com/en/dual-bike-trainer.html

can't even find the manual to see what their display is doing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

Are you using a Fitbit tracker at all?  If so, depending on the model, you can track your exercise with the Fitbit and and get the calories right there.

See How do I track my workouts with my Fitbit device? 

Without knowing what brand or model of exercise bike you have, we can't have any idea of what it is measuring.

I don't use MyFitnessPal so cannot give you any help there.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, 

I have a Alta tracker and the exercise bike I use is called a Dual Bike (has arm and foot pedals) 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi 

I changed my settings to recognize when I walk or do the bike, Everything should be good now ! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Does it happen to display watts as a figure?

Watts is literally energy - and as such is the best value of energy burn you can get.

Calories can be calculated from that.

Outside that, using the normal HR-based calorie burn that is done when you start or the device auto-starts a workout is next best.

If the bike is looking for you to input a weight before it'll give calories - then it's not using watts unless it's using some calculation method to arrive at watts instead of measuring them outright.

ETA:

Just looked it up - no it's not going to give a watts figure.

https://www.tunturi.com/en/dual-bike-trainer.html

can't even find the manual to see what their display is doing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

What I did was I created a exercise in myfitnesspal and from there I add the time I started and the amount of time (today I pedalled for 60 minutes) it gave me a calories burn of 300 (which in my case is close to accurate as I used to have a motorized bike and in 60 minutes I could do 600 calories (but I was not really doing the work physically) I feel great pedalling myself! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

So the MFP entry you used is probably Spin Bike?

As all the others are based on outside riding with road, wind, and some average incline resistance at certain speeds.

And you are inside.

But I'm going to go out on a limb that you could not do your machine like a Spin Bike session would be done.

300 could be true if a very hard workout - that's still a pretty high.

I'd frankly log it on Fitbit no matter what - and use Fitbit's estimate based on HR.

The MFP database entry has no intensity to it - but a SpinBike class is pretty serious level.

If you need your friends list on MFP to see a workout - just make a wall post about it.

Fitbit's exercise diary is much nicer, and their use of the same calorie database is more accurate because of how they use it. In case the HR-based burn is too high.

Just my suggestion.

Also - not sure how you could get close to 600 cal/hr and not doing the work yourself. That would be called inaccurate reading.

Best Answer
0 Votes

will give the Fitbit diary a try,

thank you 

Best Answer
0 Votes