Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what type of food/snacks would you take on a one day 19mile hike?

what type of food or snacks should i take on a one day 19 mile hike? i have taken 10 mile hikes in the past and only taken fruit, i feel i will need more fuel. thoughts?

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

That is a lot of miles in one day! I've tried nuts and lara bars and different combinations of foods, I found I like lots of glucose like apples, peaches, fresh stuff, and don't really like spending too much energy digesting the amount of fat in nuts. We think of nuts as high protein but they are even higher fat, a small carton of soymilk is better. I take fresh fruits, some dates or dried figs, extra water. The key is to eat a serious meal when you are through.

Inga
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank You

Best Answer
0 Votes

One more thing... the trick is, take enough calories. Don't just carry an apple and a pear and then wonder why you bonk in 2 miles. 1000 calories of fruit is a lot to carry 😉 

Inga
Best Answer
0 Votes
I always bring a bottle of ruckpack.

Www.ruckpack.com
Best Answer
0 Votes

Cereal bars (Low GI) for lightweight and sustained release of energy. Some dried fruit (again, lighter in weight.) and Jelly Babies or similar for a fast release of energy when needed. Wouldn't worry too much about protein until after the walk is over as it is not the body's preferred energy source but it is good for recovery.

Take enough calories/kilojoules to get you through...feels pretty awful to be out of food and exhausted.

The best is yet to come
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hard to beat a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich.  An probably healthier than an 'energy bar'. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would take a few GU energy gels, because they are loaded with electrolytes to prevent muscle cramping.  Energy gels are usually handed out during marathons and half marathons for the same purpose.  Also, snacks such as fruit and nut bars, and raisins that are loaded with potassium are good choices.

Best Answer
0 Votes