Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto-Immune Diseases and Anti-Inflammatory Diets

I suffer from an IGA deficiency, Sjogren's Syndrome and Fibromyalgia...among other issues.  I've been having major flare days.  I saw my doctor yesterday and we are trying a new med as well as a new diet.  Does anyone out there have any thoughts or comments?

Best Answer
19 REPLIES 19

I am very sorry to hear that you are going through this. Although I do not suffer from a similar condition, I did run a quick search and found the following from a source that I trust.

https://nutritionfacts.org/2013/06/27/plant-based-diets-for-fibromyalgia/

If you find the summary interesting be sure to click the links to go each individual video for more information. 

Best of luck and I sure hope this helps. 

Fitbits: One, Blaze, Charge 4, Aria 2 Scale
Reasons to Fitbit: Kendra, Elizabeth, Katherine, Charlotte, Evelyn, and Susannah
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Cali13  I too am sorry to hear that your health is not tip top. I think working with your doctor is the best course of action as they can recommend what is good specifically for you and your health. I also think you should do as much as you can safely. Our bodies are meant to move, so even if it is a walk in front of your house or around your living room, do as much as you can when you can to keep your limbs moving.  

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

@Cali13  Cali,  I just read the greatest thing in the newspaper today about an anti-inflammatory supplement.  It may not be of any interest to you at all, but a lady wrote to the "People's Pharmacy" about buying the anti-inflammatory supplement MSM ( methylsulfonylmethane) for growing better hair, but it is for joint pain and other things.  However after taking it 3 times a day for 6 days she regained her sense of smell after 9 years!!!  Of course I rushed down and bought some.   You can buy 200 capsules for $10 or $30. There are quite a few brands.  This is supposed to be good for so many things; maybe you should take some???   No prescription is required.  It could make us beautiful with thicker hair or something. LOL  I hope this is not offensive and not serious enough, but I am so hopeful to get my sense of smell back.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The Arthritis Foundation (www.arthritis.org) has some good information regarding diets that help with inflammatory conditions (arthritis is one of those).  Making changes to your diet can improve some of your symptoms.  I am a healthcare provider, so as always, work with your primary care physician when considering diet changes, and particularly any supplements, as they can have negative interactions with certain medications.  Light exercise as tolerated is also very beneficial, even if it's only taking a 10 minute slow walk a few times daily.  If you have significant joint pain, and have access to a facility with a pool, water classes can also be very beneficial for joint pain, improving mobility, as well as helping with weight loss.  I hope you are able to find some relief for your symptoms.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@cdpa11 @Cali13   Cdpa is right of course.  I googled and MSM does interact with aspirin, anticoagulants and vitamin C, plus some other things.  I am going to quit taking Vitamin C and aspirin for a while.  I don't take prescriptions except estrogen.  The lady who regained her sense of smell was a nurse and researched this and said no one ever suggested it would help  with smell.

Best Answer
0 Votes

There are a couple of books you may be interested in.

The Inflammation Spectrum by Dr. Will Cole.  Dr. Cole is A Functional Medical Practitioner and ne clinic director in Pittsburgh, PA.  He consults world wide in Autoimmune, Brain, Gut, Hormone, and Thyroid health. You can follow Dr. Cole via his website. 

The Autoimmune Fix by Dr. Tom O'Bryan.  Dr. O'Bryan also focuses the autoimmune system. 

I have found the books, websites, podcasts and seminars very enlightening.     

Best Answer

Yes of course dear!

Best Answer

Hi @Cali13 

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis.  I noticed if I eat a lot of grains or sugary foods, my inflammation seems worse.   When I stick to proteins and vegetables with a little fruit mixed in (mostly berries), the inflammation seems better.  Everybody's body is different so you many need to experiment with your diet (after consulting with your doctor).

Best Answer

I tried to create a group today for Auto Immune community but the “create” link didn’t work. I also have RA and trying to be healthier and lose weight has been exciting but a struggle at times. Not sure where that line is to either keep pushing or let my body rest as not to cause a flare. 

Best Answer

Having RA is challenging, that I know.  This past year I went from training for a half marathon, deep back bends for yoga and dance to being riddled to bed with severe muscle spasms and my hands blowing up like balloon animals.  This happened overnight.. seriously!! Lets try to create a group again here with FitBit, I will help ya!  I am on some RA groups on the other social media  and some are great.. others are just people " venting" all the time.  Keep Moving!!  it will be ok

Best Answer

I think starting a group would be great. I just started getting what I think is psoriatic arthritis. My hands hurt and look like they're sunburned  the ball of my foot and toe joints hurt to walk and walking was my main thing. Frustrating. I found a great website for people with arthritis, it's called creaky joints. 

Hope you all feel better. https://creakyjoints.org/  here's the link, they're a nonprofit and have been operating since 1999.  

Best Answer

I know this is years later..  but I have been researching high and low about how to regain my sense of smell. I have Sjogren’s and I’m certain it had caused me to lose my smell. Did this help you at all? The MSM? Thank you 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Your story is impressive, but the idea that you need to move more is right.

Best Answer

I too have RA  and I also notice when I eat poorly I feel crappy. 

Best Answer

It is a constant struggle for me. For the past week I've had no soda, wine or junk food. I feel great but always thinking about food I shouldn't eat. I tried Hello Fresh and it was helpful. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

have you done some research on low carb / ketogenic diets? I got rid of my arthritis symptoms in as little as three weeks just by cutting out all sugar and refines carbohydrates completely and train my body to use fat as the main energy source.

A very good resource is at  https://www.dietdoctor.com/. They also have a podcast on YouTube where experts with some actual experience discuss their research.

Best Answer

Hi Cali13, I would focus on a diet that does not contain foods the promote inflammation. Avoid sugar, processed carbs like bread, pasta, Grains, seed oils, vegetable oils, Any ingredients that include natural flavors, soy bean oil. Cook with olive oil, avocado oil and coconut oil. Your doctor will only want to keep pumping you with meds until you make it to your death bed when you could heal yourself with the right foods. Check out Dr Berg and ken berry md on YouTube. Its takes a strong mind set and determination to eat healthy. Good Luck.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Also avoid pop, fruit juice, energy drinks, sports drinks, etc as these all contain large amounts of sugar and high fructose corn syrup. Most fruit juice is fruit-flavored sugar water (the tipoff is the first or second ingredient being "apple juice from concentrate"). Very easy to make sports drinks without artificial sweeteners and with minimal sugar.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have fibromyalgia and was prescribed lyrica. It works great! 

Best Answer
0 Votes