Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best food for cold and flu season

How's the weather right now in your country? Too much rain or cold?

Here in Guatemala it's been raining a lot!!! And most of people are getting flu infections or just a common cold. Cold and flu infections usually get better within a couple of weeks without treatment. However, continuing to eat healthy foods while the symptoms of a cold or flu resolve is important for ensuring you recover as quickly as possible. 🤧🤒🤕

Water is the best fluid to drink when you have a cold or flu as it helps lubricate the mucous membranes of the throat. Hot drinks are also a good choice as the hot steam they produce can relieve congestion. Other fluids which are good options during cold and flu infection include:

• Juice
  • Ginger ale
  • Herbal tea
  • Honey and lemon tea – mix lemon and honey with a cup of hot water
  • Broth
  • Ginger tea

You do not need to follow a special diet or eat particular foods when you have cold and flu, but you should:

• Eat nutritious foods, including fruits and vegetables;
  • Consume foods which boost the immune system;
  • Eat foods which may help relieve cold and flu symptoms like congestion; and
  • Consume soft foods which are easier to swallow with a sore throat.

Immune boosting foods Foods with vitamin C Vitamin E foods Selenium rich foods
  • Yoghurt;
  • Kefir;
  • Salmon and tuna;
  • Flaxseeds and walnuts;
  • Olive, canola and walnut oil.
  • Oranges and grapefruits;
  • Peppers;
  • Strawberries;
  • Tomatoes;
  • Pineapples;
  • Broccoli;
  • Paw paw;
  • Guava.
  • Leafy greens such as spinach, brussel sprouts and collards;
  • Almonds and sunflower seeds;
  • Broccoli;
  • Blueberries;
  • Whole grains.
  • Shrimp;
  • Tuna;
  • Turkey;
  • Lamb;
  • Beef;
  • Chicken;
  • Eggs;
  • Brazil nuts.

What do you do when you have a cold?    Do you change your diet? 

@DanOstin @MichaelAdamski @emili @SinKnitty @WilyKat76 @cathm @JanetFet @polaroidwords @nihahi @MarciM @Odyssey13 @Ang-51 @ThomasbB @Codecutie @Bodygoals2 @umakannan53 @Searae @TyGoblin @Hugheees @ScarlyG @BWGrace @purple_vacuum 

limon.jpg

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

Great advice @YojanaFitbit! I'm a big fan of green tea anytime, but a good organic peppermint green tea is especially nice if you have a cold. I don't change my diet when I have cold because I try to always eat well, non-processed fresh food and get a lot of rest. 

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer
Chicken soup, plenty of rest, gone in no time…🤓🤓🤓

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

@YojanaFitbit  colds aren't fun, but staying hydrated is about all I can do. Chicken (low sodium) boulion, crackers, Vitamin C, aspirin as needed and lots of rest. 

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

Black garlic ramen cures everything. If you can’t get black garlic for broth then chicken stock with a massive amount of garlic slowly simmered in.

Best Answer
I must appreciate your post because you listed those healthy  food items that we should take during cold or flu time. That's amazing, and I also share this with my family member's!
Best Answer

Hi @YojanaFitbit 

My go to foods for a cold are chicken soup, bone broth, other broths, and hot tea with honey. Usually I don't feel like eating much so fall back to these same foods. 

Best Answer

Those are some great options! I can't have a lot of it due to dietary restrictions, but I love to drink tea and have about 4-5 cups a day along with TONS of water. During flu & cold season I usually up the soup intake and focus on fresh, healthy veggies. Seeds and nuts are a staple in my household along with tofu and leafy greens 🙂 Green tea and pu-erh are my current go-to's for tea. Thanks for the post!

Best Answer

I think that most of us agreed about having soup when we're sick, the sodium in the recipe helps relieve sore throat pain (the same principle behind gargling warm salt water), the heat helps clear nasal congestion, and can relieve pain and sinus pressure. The vitamins and minerals in nutrient-dense soups can also speed recovery. So simple but effective, right? 😊

@BarthdeRosa I'm glad you like this information! 🤗 Take care.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer