Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cutting cravings

ANSWERED

Looking for any ideas to help cut the cravings for serious carbs in the mornings, for example bagles and cream cheese and a soda has been breakfast. Lunch and dinner has been spot on but it seems breakfast is my weakness. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@IrishJoJo, replace the soda with fruit juice, and replace the bagel with an egg muffin (English Muffin). The protein will satisify and sustain you for much longer than simple carbs & sugars.  Not to mention the nutrition benefits.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

@IrishJoJo, replace the soda with fruit juice, and replace the bagel with an egg muffin (English Muffin). The protein will satisify and sustain you for much longer than simple carbs & sugars.  Not to mention the nutrition benefits.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Unfortunately, things like soda and bagels are known to contain high amounts of High Fructose Corn Syrup, which in itself is a problem. HFCS doesn't kick off your insulin as much as natural glucose, which means you are less likely to feel full when consuming foods with HFCS. It can cause you to overeat and crave the same food. A lot of food manufacturers are aware of this, knowing that by adding HFCS into their food products, you will crave more, eat more, and buy more. Their goal isn't to make you feel full, nor is it their goal to care about your health. Their goal is to encourage your hunger so you keep buying more and eating more of their products.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/how-corn-syrup-might-be-making-us-hungry-and-fat/

My best suggestion would be to break up with bagels and soda, or just HFCS in general. It's not easy, because you have developed a legitimate addiciton by this point. You might even get a feeling of panic or anxiety at the thought of not getting your breakfast fix. Other studies have shown that our dependency on sugar can be more addictive than heroin. 
No easy answer for you, other than to be aware of the effects these kinds of foods and ingredients have on you and how they can actually impact your brain and digestive system. The only recommendation I have is to slap yourself in the face, pull yourself up by your bootstraps, and commit to breaking your addiction. 

Also, start drinking a lot of water. Sometimes we're really just dehydrated, and dehydration can cause similar symptoms to hunger. Note how much sodium you're taking in as well as that can contribute to dehydration. So drink plenty of water, lay off the HFCS, and start reading food labels.

A plain bagel is 260 calories, 56g carbs, 2g fiber, 5g sugar, 9g protein.

A 12 oz can of coke is 140 calories, 39g carbs, and 39 grams sugar. 

Which means your current breakfast--WITHOUT cream cheese--is 400 calories, 95g carbs, 2g fiber (so 93g net carbs), 44g sugar, 9g protein. You're killing yourself on this one, man.
Get on MyFitnessPal, get a free account, start logging your foods, and then also start paying attention to your macronutrients. You want to aim to reach the individual goals of your daily needs (protein, carbs, fat, fiber, cholesterol, etc). Try not to go over by too much. You'll probably find that as of this moment, your carb intake is enormously high.
Something I've been doing is making my own green smoothies with protein powder. The color is off-putting for some, but it's rather tasty (trust me). 

• 1 c unsweetened vanilla Silk Almond milk (high in calcium, more than regular milk--45% DV vs 30% DV)
  • 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder (Muscle Milk)
  • 2 tsp ground cinammon
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 1.5 fist fulls of raw spinach
  • 1 jumbo carrot
  • 1/2 c frozen fruit

Blend until smooth & creamy.

It's 329 calories, 27g carbs, 12g fiber (so 15g net carbs), 10g sugar, 21g protein, 33g cholesterol.

It's filling, it's sweet, it's clean. It's not a bagel, nor cream cheese, nor a soda, but it is a solid meal by itself.

Best Answer

I agree with MercylsleSiren.

I switched my normal junk breakfast for shakes and I’ve had great results. I typically do a variation of the following:

- One serving of protein powder (your choice based on your needs)

- One serving of fruit. (I typically use a banana or berries)

- 1oz of baby spinach

- Ice and water

I started craving peanut butter a lot as of late so I started mixing Pbfit into my non berry based shakes for an awesome kick. I’ve found I no longer crave typical breakfast food anymore and my morning shakes keep me comfortably satisfied till about 11am. (I’m drinking them around 6am for reference) All in all it ends up being around 330 calories.

Best Answer

I do shakes some mornings, protein bars on other days, but I also do baked egg cups.  I'll take some smoked back bacon and line a 1 cup custard cup with a couple of pieces.  If I have any cooked veggies I'll add them.  Then I crack in a couple of eggs, sprinkle with a few seasonings and a touch of cheese and bake until the eggs are set.  If you really want the bread (I like my carbs from fruit) toast a sandwich thin (or half of one) and serve the egg bake on top.  I make 3 or 4 of them at a time - just cover in the fridge until you need them.  Okay, I pop the cooled ones into 1.25 cup rubbermaid containers so they are grab and go.

Oh, and my opinion is dump the soda and/or juice.  Drink water and eat an orange.  Although juice is better than soda, the whole fruit contains fiber as well.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

This is great advise...I have upped my water intake and I notice when I do that I want to eat better and work out. Got a small goal I need to crush by May.

Best Answer

EXCELLENT! I've honestly been terrible about my eating habits lately (it really helps when you have a goal and a deadline, and I've not got any sort of deadline and since the holidays I've been extremely lazy and lax). I did these things, though, between July 29, 2016 through October 13, 2016 because I had a goal (performing at a big music festival and lots of cameras pointed at me), and in that time span I lost 21 pounds. My husband did the same thing right along with me, and since men burn more calories than women do, he enjoyed a weight loss of 35 pounds. So, I know it can be done, obviously. 🙂 I'm going to jump back into being more proactive with my health and activity. Congrats on your water intake discovery, and may you reach your goals!

Best Answer

I usually do two over easy eggs. Each egg on a slice of wheat bread. 
(240 calories)

Or you can try a protein shake in the morning to fill you up.
- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk (25 calories)
- 1 banana (100)
- scoop of protein powder (i use ideallean chocolate for women 80 calories)
- tbsp of peanut butter or 2 tbsp of pbfit powder (95 or 50 calories)
- ice

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a theory; cravings are your brains way of saying it needs more Dopamine. 

I asked a friend who was a therapist, and was told that something as simple as a 5 minute brisk walk can stave off a craving. As you exercise, Dopamine levels will increase in the brain, which should stop your craving. 

So, I would either do some deep-knee bends or some push-ups. Or a brisk, brief walk if I’ve got the time. 

Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese
Best Answer
0 Votes