Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily calorie requirement increased from 2500 to over 4000 - how and why?

My daily calorie requirement, according to my age, weight and the activities I do, has been around 2500 calories since I first got my fitbit Charge HR in Dec 2015.  I recently had to replace the Charge HR and now have the Charge 2, which I've had now for about a month.  My activities have stayed the same but all of a sudden, my daily calorie requirement has suddenly jumped up to over 4000 calories.

Anyone know how or why this has happened?

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Well, if you are willing to share exactly what is your activity requirement, we can deduce how many calories you actually burn using standards measurements, which might tell you if your new fitbit is correct or incorrect. If not, then it is likely that unless you have had trouble getting enough energy to pull through the day (and I mean really having trouble), your present diet based on burning 2500 calories is sufficient for your daily needs.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm wondering if its a property of the Charge 2 that my Charge HR didn't have?

My fitness activities include cycling (anywhere from a 30 - 50 km ride or longer: 2-3 hours) and running (10-15 km).  With my Charge HR, my daily calories would increase throughout the day as I completed fitness activities during that day to reflect those activities.  However with the Charge 2, the increase was at the start of the day even before I participated in any fitness activities; as if my daily calorie intake was pre-calculated based on fitness activities of the previous day.

I haven't been out cycling or running in a couple of days, so my daily calorie intake is back down to around 2500 calories.  However I do plan on getting some cycling in over the next few days - will see what happens after those days to see if my daily calorie requirement is automatically increased again based on those activities.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's likely your setting on food is set to personalized instead of sedentary.  On the computer dashboard go to the logs and look at the food plan.  Click on the gear icon and change it to sedentary.  This will take you back to low calories in the morning and increase as you exercise during the day.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You have a picture of a bicyclist. Are you very active on bicycling daily? Fitbit accounts for all increments in activity. For me, I have the premium platform plus my schedule below. The premium platform weekly increases my calories burned by up to double my active times which requires longer demand of exercises like more walking and a longer elliptical time like increasing the minutes from 20 to 60 to get to 3,400 calories burned daily which will eventually hit 4,000 as wellUntitled.png

As you can tell on the "Trainer" part of the premium platform, it has quadrupled the training program actually. And that is in one week's time. It was previously set to 500 last week and asked me to raise it to there. But that was because I took a vacation from Fitbit for a very long time and just returned as a full blown sedentary.

Best Answer
0 Votes