Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diets to Reverse Type 2 Diabetes

ANSWERED

Last November, my Wife's doctor told me about a book that describes a new paradigm for Type 2 Diabetes and debunks the old paradigm which Medical professionals refer to as cell starvation.  That says you become Insulin resistant making it harder for Insulin to open the path to allow glucose to enter the cells.  The new paradigm is that your cells are packed with glucose so that the Insulin resistance develops because even though Insulin opens that path, glucose can't enter because the cells are overflowing with glucose.  The pancreas then, responding to higher glucose in your blood, releases even more Insulin causing that hormone to remain high in your blood.  The title of the book is "The Diabetes code" and it explains that Type 2 Diabetes is a dietary disease and can be cured through diet.  It goes into detail about using a low carb high fat diet combined with intermittent fasting.   I switched my diet to low carb high fat a week before Thanksgiving and fast 16 hours 5 days a week.  As a result I went from 240 lbs to 214 lbs today.  My A1C went from 7.0 to 5.8 the first week of January.  My Doctor has cut my Diabetic medications by more than half and I am well on my way to curing my diabetes.  This post is not just for people with Type 2 diabetes but anyone wanting to find out the new thinking on how to eat healthy.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@RowingMan wrote:

The title of the book is "The Diabetes code"

You might as well mention the author: Dr. Jason Fung. He’s been around for some time and he is a well-known (though controversial, according to some) figure. He’s been mentioned here well before writing that book, for instance in this post from 2015. He’s also the author of another, similar book, The Obesity Code. I say "similar", because according to him, it’s all about insulin (the bad guy), and carbs (the other bad guy).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
13 REPLIES 13
Would it work for type 3? My friend has a late developing diabetes and is on steady insulin, stress induced.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi Monique,

The book is specifically written for Type 2 Diabetes. I had to look up
Type 3 and according to Wikipedia it is a term for insulin resistance in
the brain. Type 3 diabetes is a title that has been proposed for
Alzheimer's disease which results from resistance to insulin in the brain.
In any case, your friend should first consult with their Doctor. As a
matter of course, anyone with Type 2 diabetes should consult with their
doctor before trying this diet and fasting lifestyle. You will need to
monitor your blood glucose more closely to make sure you don't start having
hypoglycemic episodes. I had 3 and my doctor then cut my medications. I
hope this helps.

Regards,
Bill
Best Answer
0 Votes

@RowingMan wrote:

The title of the book is "The Diabetes code"

You might as well mention the author: Dr. Jason Fung. He’s been around for some time and he is a well-known (though controversial, according to some) figure. He’s been mentioned here well before writing that book, for instance in this post from 2015. He’s also the author of another, similar book, The Obesity Code. I say "similar", because according to him, it’s all about insulin (the bad guy), and carbs (the other bad guy).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Yes, the author is Dr Jason Fung.  I was told about the book by one of my Wife's doctors.  He also told me that Big Pharma doesn't want that to get out as it will have a negative effect on their profits and they are a powerful lobby in the medical industry.  I had told my Doctor about the book before I started the routine and he was not aware of it but was aware of what I was doing.  After my last A1C he was astonished at the progress I made and during the office visit made a note to himself to read the book.  My wife just had a followup with her regular doctor who not only knew about the book but agrees with it.  She also recommended "The Obesity Code".  My knew Endocrinologist is a young woman who also knows about and agrees with the book.  The controversy you mention (according to my wife's doctor) stems from two factors.  First, Big Pharma is largely behind it.  Second, the medical industry is slow to change.  People should also go on line and look for a youtube video titled "Sugar:  The bitter truth".  It is 90 minutes by a Pediatric Endocrinologist from UCSF and runs an obesity clinic for children.

Best Answer
Thank you, my friend is thin as a rail, no family history, mostly vegetarian diet but had 20 years of caring for her mother and a chronically ill husband. They both died and the stress left her with acute diabetes.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

My deepest sympathies to your friend.  I sincerely hope she can get better. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My doctor wants me on the Atkins diet. Metformin is no longer controlling my diabetes. I do not want to start on insulin.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Jonge , @RowingMan , @MoniquehH , 

The book that helped me enormously is "End of Diabetes", by Joel Fuhrman, MD. 

I adopted his principles, without going completely vegan. I just started walking daily and used his diet principles by increasing the greens and removing the "white stuff" (anything containing white flower, white rice, sugar, and white potatoes). I still use some fish and animal products, but mostly as a condiment, rather than as aliment. I get most of my proteins from vegetables and legumes (beans of all kinds). Dr. Fuhrman also offers great tasting recipes that are high in nutrients, and low in calories (both in his books and to his online members). I have been a member on his web page for about three years, and receive his healthful, nutritarian recipes by email, several times a week. 

My blood sugar has been normal for over three years, and I intend to keep it that way.

I cannot recommend Dr. Fuhman enough. You can find some of his lectures on this and other topics on YouTube. 

Hope this helps.

Ellie

Best Answer
0 Votes

This book helped my friend a lot. He's been struggling with Type 2 diabetes almost for his whole life. In the beginning, he was pretty much carefree, which I think made it worse, cause he was not caring for anything that he put in his body, and no diet or medicine. We're all quite surprised that it stayed Type 2 and it didn't get worse. This year he started feeling a lot worse and decided that he has to do something if he wants to lead a quality life especially with being in the risk zone for coronavirus. He got this book and also found a new doctor https://www.nycendocrinologist.com/ that helped him a lot with recovering.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am taking a similar approach to diet right now as I have traditionally had high cholesterol and I'm at high risk for cardiac issues.  For this reason I'm hesitant to try the high fat diet even though I have pre-diabetes (5.7 A1C).  Did this diet improve your lipid profile?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Actually, this diet did bring all my lipids within normal range.

regards,

Bill
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am on the "carnivore diet" and have excellent results.  There are a number of fitness people on Twitter that have done the low carb/keto/carnivore diets with excellent results also. Many of them have combined diet changes along with resistance training.  You can start with the "carnivorediet", "ketodiet" or other similar hashtags in Twitter's search bar.

Best Answer
0 Votes